1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you could have a (rough) new start as YOURSELF

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by TobaccoFlower, Dec 27, 2015.

1. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am at a crossroads and I guess I'm not sure what to do. I have been under a lot of pressure from my wife to take my time in transitioning because she is worried that I am having a dissassociative episode due to my mental illness history. I have finally reached a point where I no longer think that that is reasonable or realistic and I think I know that I AM a woman, however masculine or nerdy, and that I want to BE myself all the time. This goes as far as presenting, asking people to call me my chosen name, asking my parents to recognize me as their daughter instead of their son, etc.

Unfortunately at this point I have only come out to them and they don't seem to expect anything to come of it and I don't really know WHAT they (especially my wife, who has aspergers) can even HANDLE.

SO anyway. On to the actual question. I don't always present. In fact I have really just been living with my moderate to mild dysphoria and just letting things BE how they are and staying at home with my family all season.

I've been having a hard time pushing out all of the feelings that I absorb from other people and I'm facing an opportunity to go to a new state with NOBODY I know and a chance to start HRT and I'm at a crossroads with my presentation, especially since my family still seems to be somewhat against my choices. In fact, my wife is still against the idea of the boys calling me anything but "Daddy," because I didn't give birth to them. But.
    I guess I just wanted to know how it's all been for you guys and if you happen to have any advice for me. Like, what would you do with an opportunity like the one I'm faced with right now?

I have obvious facial hair and a naturally muscular build, but essentially a female frame with short hair and I don't even know how to pull off transitioning like I want to in a new envitronment IF I could just show up as myself. This also brings up the question of clothing (which I'm lacking), and people at school (going back to University in Texas) calling me out and it potentially leading to violence or something. I needs the hugs. *facedesk*

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Would I go back to high school and transition now even if it was rough? Yea. So much missed time but whatever. Can't dwell on it.

3. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can you extrapolate? The way I see it, I really don't know much else other than this life and it also comes down to whether or not I'm willing to subject my family to the stress of it over the course of just a few weeks.

4. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I knew in high school what I know now I would of transition then. My dysphoria was severe in high school, but upong exiting puberty it dropped to mild/barely there.
    I'm currently thinking about going to college out of state, or at least out of this town, and I would definitely start transitioning.
    But I guess it would be easier for a FtM to present as a male than a MtF to present as female, one society doesn't seem to care about while the other seems to cause outrage.

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well my family has finally started to accept after saying "there was no indication of this" at all.

So if they are starting to accept it now I wonder how my family would have taken it 20 years ago.

6. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    so basically from both of you I'm hearing that if you had a chance at a whole new set of friends and a new environment you would start transition without waiting it out and easing everyone around into it over a long time? I mean, socially anyway.

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As my therapist said I wasn't ready that's why it took me so long to come out. But assuming if I know what I know now and you put me 20 years in the past? Yea I'd transition.

8. FootballFan101

I would love to go back 11 1/2 years back to 2004 when I was a 2 year old and keep on saying that I'm really a girl and sneak into my sisters closet and wear her dresses and ask for barbies and dolls when Christmas came around, and see if they take the hint, I would be willing to relive 11 1/2 years if I could libe them as a girl and take back my girlhood that has been stolen from me from a stupid y chromosome

9. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't give up my friends or family. Just that if I had transition in the past I feel I would if been farther in life. No matter when I transition I would have to work my friends and family into it slowly.

10. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess that answers my question. It sucks, though, knowing what i want but having to put it off. it's like sitting in a way-too-hot-bathtub for the water to cool down

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wanted to transition badly when I was a junior in high school, and keeping it bottled in was why I almost dropped out that year and couldn't bring myself to finish my senior year there.

Had I found the courage to say 'fuck it' and come out, I would have, especially with the waves of love and support I was met with (with one childhood friend asking me whose ass did she have to kick after I made a vague post about some transphobic shit someone said on my Facebook feed) after I officially came out 2.5 years ago. I'm pretty sure if I did that, I could have been much further along down the road and possibly be in a place where I'd be post-op.

12. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    AGHHH! It is so frustrating. I guess it's like be pre-emergent in a second language. I'm so afraid of coming out and transitioning, because I FEEL ready but I just don't have the confidence yet I guess.

13. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Building confidence when you have low self-esteem can be mega hard, but I feel that once you find the right support group, you'll start beaming and things will get easier. Looking back on how I was over five years ago, I was super ambitious with wanting to come out despite being scared as hell. I was in that state of wanting to just do it; rather than remembering that before I can run, I need to learn how to crawl.

14. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Careful with the wife... One thing is to physically give birth, and another is to care for both the baby and the mother. When you are not only engaged on the kid's life, but also being the main provider.
    A pregnancy is 9 months, a job lasts many years, and as an adult I look back and to me it's clear that my father had played the most important of parental roles.

That being said, be concious that if your wife doesn't care about you, she'll do anything to stop you, including emotional blackmail, and it's not completly out of the question she wouldn't use the child as a shield or even weapon.

I'm 32 now, and all I can say is that waiting is not a solution : It makes everything worse. It adds memories, bad experiences, and steals you chances of a better transition.

All new starts are rough one way or another.
    I also agree with Daydreamer about learning to crawl before learning to walk.

15. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I completely understand, and I know that's why she thinks that way. I just wish I could be something other than "dad" all the time. I'm not a boy, and "Dad" doesn't really translate well in my head. But, that's true I suppose; the anything-is-game thing. She doesn't mean to but she CAN be kinda manipulative. But. When she fights me by saying "the doctor is wrong" or "It's just [insert excuse for not being supportive here]" I'm going to seriously consider this.

For now I'm going to see a therapist, tell them what I already know, and take the baby steps in transition. I'm a brave girl; I think I can take a little bit of anxiety along with the euphoria <3