1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neutral?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by spoulding, Dec 30, 2015.

1. spoulding

This bothers me since I was a little kid. Basically, I don't identify myself as a girl nor a boy. Both genders, physically and mentally, don't seem to fit. Does this make me gender neutral? If not, what?

2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Hi there, spoulding! I haven't seen you around before, so I extend my most graceful welcome to you. :slight_smile:

Now, the first thing I want to say is that a lot of people who are cis say mostly the same thing about their gender - that they're neutral or don't really care. It's so obvious to them that it's just not something they think about.
    But you do say in plain terms here that you don't identify as a girl. What exactly does that mean to you, may I ask? For example, if someone says that you're a girl or uses she/her pronouns to refer to you, does that put you off or make you think "they're wrong?" Or are you more "meh"? Does it make you stop and think?

And what do you mean when you say both genders don't fit you physically? Do you feel repulsion or "weirdness" about any of your body parts (chest, etc.)?

Also, when you're talking about gender and how you are mentally etc., are you thinking of gender roles/stereotypes? Because that can be very confusing, and is very common. For example me, I like action and fighting (like martial arts) and stuff. That isn't typically "girly", so then I might think "so... am I not really a girl, then?" That's just a hypothetical example and I don't really do that, but it's common to think like that.

Hope that helps. ^_~

3. tgOlivia

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Yeah, gender neutral sounds pretty good. There are a lot of specifics to think through, but based on the little information you gave us I'd probably say so.

4. spoulding

I don't mind when people use pronouns to refer to me as a girl, but I do feel weird when using them myself. I'm Brazilian and in Portuguese most adjetives differentiate genders, so when using the female forms I feel uncomfortable, like it's wrong.

As for the body parts, yes, it is weird. I don't like my body as a girl and I know I wouldn't like having a penis.

Not quite. It's like not identifying as a girl nor a boy in my head. Hard to explain.

---------- Post added 30th Dec 2015 at 07:44 PM ----------

What specifics?

Thank you :slight_smile: I joined a couple of day ago and stayed mostly in the Sexual and Romantic Orientation forum.

5. Athexant

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You seem to be having some dysphoria about your body and your pronouns, so I think it is safe to say that you seem to be agender or gender neutral. Another word for those terms is neutrois which means "null gender".

Although, in the end, I do think it is up to you to decide what gender you are for yourself. We can help you come to a conclusion, but the conclusion should be discovered by yourself. If you think you're gender neutral, then identify as that. If you change your mind later, then that's okay too.

6. spoulding

If I'm gender neutral, how do I deal with this? Publicly, I mean.

7. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you know why exactly you feel uncomfortable using "she" words? It could possibly be that you don't identify with things that designate internally as feminine as well. Which doesn't necessarily mean you are cis or NOT, but it is a possibility. It seems like you might be more comfortable with the neutral label?

If I was personally in your situation I probably wouldn't say much. I felt pretty feminine for a long time and usually just bit my tongue when people referred to me as a boy or used stereotypes on me. I would internally challenge them and then just think "ah, they just don't know me very well." So, like I said I really wouldn't say anything. The most I ever spoke up to say was "I'm not really a boy. I'm not like that." You could just correct people when they really bug you or start referring to yourself as a "they" in English until you are able to feel comfortable asking others to talk about you like that. As for Portuguese I'm not really sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_neutrality_in_Spanish_and_Portuguese

I looked through here to try and better understand the problem you're going through. I suppose it might help? *shrug*

---------- Post added 30th Dec 2015 at 03:19 PM ----------

feiticeiros e feiticeiras that made me laugh. Sorry. I had to post it.

8. Athexant

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Any way you want to! You can change the way you dress or cut your hair if you want to. Maybe you can check out binders if you want to hide your breasts from the public. I've seen these pins that you can wear that says things like: "Agender: They/them/theirs Example: Their pronouns are awesome" and stuff like that. That's if you want the public to know however. I've also seen some shirts that you can order online that state some things about being agender. There are a lot of options out there.

9. spoulding

I don't know, it just doesn't feel right. Like I'm talking about someone else. The neutral label is great, but it's complicated when it comes to explaining to others. It's easy to say that you're cis or trans, but when you are neither... I don't know.

I'm familiar with the writing form of neutrality in Portuguese, but speaking is complicated.

Yes, there are several jokes involving our previous president.

---------- Post added 30th Dec 2015 at 09:37 PM ----------

Binders are a good idea. I'll check out some t-shirts and pins too.

Thank you :slight_smile: