1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some Agender Fashion Tips?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Athexant, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Athexant

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Just some brief backstory. I'm AFAB, and I identify as genderfluid. However, I've been feeling agender for about a month now, and it's showing no signs of changing anytime soon. I've been trying to get my friends to use they/them pronouns to make me feel a bit more comfortable as well.

However, my gender expression is mostly female, and I hate it. I don't feel comfortable wearing what I wear because it's hard for me to conform to being female. That doesn't mean that I don't like the clothes because the clothes are fine. I have to put together some feminine outfits because I'm not really out to my parents. I'm really only out to my friends. I really do want to start wearing some gender neutral outfits, and I have no idea how I would go about that. I don't know how I would go about taking something feminine and turning it into something more neutral.

Does anyone have any advice for me or anything that can help?

2. spoulding

When I don't feel like wearing feminine clothing, I usually go with a Converse, jeans and a t-shirt. It's not girlish as it's not mandatorily masculine.

3. Athexant

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    An androgynous approach would probably work well. It's not strictly masculine and not strictly feminine either. It's really hard to find clothing outside of the male/female binary.

4. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it is, honestly. Most "male" clothing has been adopted by women over time. Jeans and a t-shirt or hoodie have always been my go-to. But even then, a collared shirt can even pass as androgynous, as can skinny jeans or tight shirt. I mix and match when I want to be comfy but crossdress so I don't stick out like a sore thumb. It can be confusing to see someone in a light blue women's hoodie and carpenter pants but I don't give two f*$@#$

5. Athexant

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks for the advice! Now that I think about it, it is true that a lot of girls today have adopted suits and button-downs and neckties and such. I'll try passing off the androgynous look to see how I feel when displaying it. I really wish I could have the "screw it" mentality, but I'm an over-thinker and have performance anxiety. I'll try really hard to take your advice, and thank you so much!