1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transvestic fetishism?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kodo, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Would you agree or disagree that there is at least some measure of transvestic fetishism (ie becoming attracted, or aroused, by oneself especially when 'crossdressing') found in transgender people who are also homosexual?

I'd chanced upon this claim when I was reading in the DSM-V, and thought it was... interesting.

Personally, I don't agree. Being a queer trans-man myself, I am absolutely not 'self-attracted' when dressing in male clothing. But I am also ace so I'm not sure if the non-existent sexual drive has anything to do with that. I do consider though, when I'm late in transition, how I'll view myself. Most likely it will be just as critically and objectively as I do now.

I think that really, it is no different in how a trans or cis person (who is also gay) views themselves. They know what features are attractive in the same sex, and they may try to highlight those features in themselves in order to be overall more attractive and proud of themselves. I mean, who doesn't want to look good? That doesn't necessitate Narcissistic adoration.

So while the assertion that "all gay trans-people have some degree of transvestic fetishism" could be born from a grain of truth, I don't think it is universally accurate to say such things. Not to mention that is implying that because one happens trans and gay - then they must have some sexual aberration.

2. thepandaboss

I've never had personal experience with this. If anything, being able to present as myself just helped me feel more natural and empowered so it was easier for me to enjoy the idea of sex.

3. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I disagree. I'm sure it's true for some people, but I think generalizing all gay trans people as having any measure of transvestic fetishism is incorrect. I like guys, but I'm not aroused by or attracted to myself as a guy. I like looking good, like any cis person would, and am attracted to people who are not me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: