1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Earrings

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by breq, Jan 3, 2016.

1. breq

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey guys!

I've recently began exploring my gender identity and feel like I'm a girl (suddenly lots of things make sense, haha). I'm a teacher, so not sure how accepted any transition would be viewed. Definitely interested in getting my ears pierced (which I know people who identify as male do as well, though I also don't care for "Male" earrings. Anything I got would be girly) but not sure how my colleagues and students would take it. Honestly the kids would probably be cool. They don't judge. Right now I'm leaning towards getting them pierced over summer break and then seeing how far I am in coming out. Thoughts?

2. questions4ever

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that's a wonderful step to take. It's small but it means a lot to you personally. It is unlikely to meet too much resistance and it will help you get the feel of things. I say go for it! :slight_smile:

3. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi,

Perhaps you could talk to your kids about transgender and then ask them 'what they think' before telling you them you are. That way you get their reaction and then once they find out you are transgender then they can ask you questions. Since LGBT is quite a big topic at the minute, it won't matter what age of kids you are using it, but phrasing might need to be different depending on age.

If a student does have a problem, then ask to see them after the lesson as to 'why'. Sometimes, not all, but sometimes students call out insults when they are feeling the same way and as if to reject their own feelings they say horrible things to others.

Also, depending on age this will vary their interest, but if you've got younger kids maybe you could let them into a ''secret'' of your new name [if you're changing]. I'm not sure if kids have changed or anything, but I remember it to be a great privilege to know a teachers real name when I was in primary.

With the colleagues, perhaps if they call you ''Sir'' instead of ''Ms.'' perhaps just keep correcting them bluntly until they get it correct. They'll eventually get it.

Hope this helps.

4. breq

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks guys! School starts back up tomorrow, so I'll get the groundwork laid!

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone