1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Take the Birth Control Pill?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by DreamerBoy17, Jan 4, 2016.

1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really want to be able to take birth control pills in order to lighten or stop my period. As a trans guy, it makes me extremely dysphoric. I absolutely hate my period. I have heavy and cramp-laden periods that are long lasting and a pain to deal with. I can't take T yet, and I was thinking maybe I could take "the Pill" in order to try and regulate this crap.

I asked my parents two days ago, and both of them are okay with the idea. I am not interested in having sex any time soon, which I have made clear to them. The only reason I want the pill is so that I can get some relief from my period.

I have a few questions (please answer the ones you can)
    -How effective is the pill at stopping periods?
    -If the pill has estrogen, would that negatively affect me as a trans male?
    -Is it safe to take the pill at my age, and are there negative side effects?

My parents have offered to make a doctor's appointment soon for this. In all honesty, I kind of asked in the heat of my dysphoria, so unfortunately I am not terribly informed on the pill in general. Is is commonplace for doctors to prescribe birth control pills in order to stop periods? Should I explain that I am trans?

Advice is much appreciated.

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not an expert on birth control, but I know that for many people who have periods, birth control helps relieve menstrual cramps and general pain that comes with periods.

http://plannedparenthood.tumblr.com/post/80276804503/im-a-trans-man-who-wants-a-birth-control-method

This post does a pretty good job at answering the question about estrogen, and there are many different forms of pills that could be estrogen free, and it would be something to talk to your general practitioner or doctor with. I'd also suggest if your current doctor is not trans-accepting, I'd suggest possibly finding another clinic to get your health needs from. Planned Parenthood is always a great resource if there's a clinic within driving distance from where you live. And due to the Affordable Care Act, birth control should be easy to get for cheap, or even for free on some plans!

When it comes to age questions, it's definitely not unheard of to have teens as young as 14 on birth control, so I think you should be fine, given you're going to a doctor that's willing to prescribe it for your menstrual cramps/dysphoria/etc. When it comes to side effects, I know that for some heavier set people, the pill will be less effective. Headaches, nausea, mood swings, and others are also not uncommon.

I think if it's something you, your parents, your doctor and possible counselors all agree on, I would say go for it. :slight_smile:

3. oh my god I

I just want to say in terms of your transition I wouldn't worry too much... it shouldn't severely affect your transition outcome if you plan to take T eventually. In my opinion you should focus on your comfort first as much as possible.

Maybe the main thing to consider would be that if you are small in the chest, there is some possibility the birth control would cause an increase in size there that could affect a top surgery decision. If you are already larger and can't get keyhole, I'm not positive about this but I don't think it would change your surgical options or outcome much. It would make it harder to bind though. It would definitely be a risk to consider and research.

Like BryanM said a non estrogen birth control would be ideal definitely if you could get that.

#3 oh my god I, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  4. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, it could really do that to my chest? I'm like a middle B cup, so I think that sort of falls in the middle when it comes to keyhole... I will definitely look into non-estrogen ones if at all possible.

Will taking the pill affect me being able to take T? I know it probably doesn't, but it's always safe to ask.

5. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have no personal experience but what I've heard some birth control pills may have weight gain as a side effect and usually for women it means a growth in the chest area.

6. pd04

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There are many different pills and they all have different side effects so you could play around with them. As far as I know, to answer your questions, the pill doesn't stop periods it regulates them. If it has estrogen it most likely will affect you. And it should be safe to take at your age. Definitely talk to your Dr about it. Those were just my opinions lol

7. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just want to point out that there are period blockers that do the same thing w/o the raised estrogen that I can say definitely do stop your period, so I'd look into that as an alternative.

#7 baconpox, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  8. Alais

A small note to add that I take a pill without estrogen in it (aka progesterone only) and it still caused me to increase three bra sizes (nothing elsewhere). I don't know anything about your surgery, but please get them to discuss this possibility with progesterone only too, as it isn't just the estrogen ones that can cause that.

9. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My advice is to stay away from such things, but it could work well for you, who knows... I'm not a doctor.

Make sure nobody pressures you into it. Now it seems they are using them for treating lots of things, and I don't think it's wise if you've got a natural, safer alternative, but only your doctor might suggest you to try this or that, you know... It could be interesting to monitor your hormones level on blood, see how it really affects you.

10. AaronV

I started taking a pill without estrogen that you were supposed to take everyday (instead of leaving a break to get your period) once I started T so I wouldn't have to deal with it anymore. It worked great for me, no weight gain, acne, depression or period, but since I also started T that day I don't know how much that influenced things.
    I'd say talk to a doctor about your specific needs and they'll (hopefully) give you good advice.

#10 AaronV, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016