1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I get a binder

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Noodle72, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Noodle72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been trying out different binding techniques (which I've researched to all be safe ones) but I really want a real binder. While I know that two sports bras make my chest pretty much completely flat, I still feel like I really want a real binder.
    How could I get a binder online (and pay for it) without my parents knowing?
    I could ask a friend to get it delivered to their house, but I'm not completely out to my friends (they still think I'm questioning my gender) and I don't know if they'd be able to get it without their parents knowing.
    I also don't know how I'd pay for it online, I'd need a credit card for that.
    If it gets too complicated and ends up not seeming easy to get one, I could just stick with sports bras until I come out to my parents.
    But I really want one.

2. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are a few binder giveaway services for trans youth that you might be able to apply to and get a free binder?

In A Bind: In a Bind
    point5cc's Free Binder Program Binder Giveaways | Free Donated Chest Binder | Point 5cc

There are others, but I'm having trouble hunting them down today!

If the option of explaining it away for costume-related things is open to you, that's another potential way to get it under the radar.

3. pinkclare

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Note that In a Bind is only able to ship within the United State and OP is in Canada.

If you have the money but are just trying to figure out how to order and receive it without your parents knowing, the first step is to get a pre-paid Visa card. These are great because you don't need to be old enough to open a bank account on your own to get one and, since they aren't linked to any sort of account, it would be extremely difficult for your parents to monitor your purchases. These pre-paid Visa cards can be purchased at any retail store with those "Gift Card Malls," ie Wal-Mart, Target, Safeway, Home Depot. I'm not sure which (if any) of these you have in Canada, but you can search your hometown specifically here: Visa Gift Cards - Give the Gift of Choice | Visa.ca

These cards are accepted at online stores just like real Visa credit and debit cards. Then you need to find a place to have it delivered where your parents won't intercept it. You mentioned friends - this is a good option and you wouldn't necessarily have to be out to them. If they won't open your box, it could be literally anything! Other options could be to ask a neighbor (especially if you have any who are home all the time, you can use the excuse "I don't want it delivered and then stolen before I get home!") or a local youth and/or LGBT center. Many of those places will receive and hold mail for you if you ask nicely!

Best of luck!

4. Noodle72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for telling me about the Visa card thing! I'll look into possibly getting one of those.
    I'll also check out the second link for a free binder, I do have the money but it'd be nice to get one for free and save my money for something else.
    :slight_smile:

#4 Noodle72, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016