1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will testosterone mess up my voice?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by misplacedaegyo, Jan 6, 2016.

1. misplacedaegyo

I'm currently an alto with a very, very wide range. I have solo vocal lessons, I'm in one soon two really good church choirs, and singing means a lot to me. But I'm also quite possibly transsexual, and I'll probably won't to get gender reassignment surgery and all that jazz once I've figured everything out. Of course my voice is going to change, and I'm okay with that, and I know I'll probably have to start training my voice even more and in new ways, and I'm okay with that, but yeah.. Any (former) singers out there, whose singing voice got "weird" after you got on T and your voice started to change?

Thanks in advance!

2. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You'll lose some of your range, and you'll have to keep changing your techniques while your voice is changing, but you won't completely lose it. Here's an article I found about it: Testosterone and the FTM Singing Voice

3. misplacedaegyo

Ah, thank you so much :slight_smile:

4. Athexant

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You'll probably lose some of the higher notes that you can currently sing. However, you'll probably gain lower ranges as your voice changes. Also, there are a few males that I know who can get into both the really low ranges and the really high ranges. It's all about how you train your voice and how you sound as an individual.