1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Binders and sport at school.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Rxley, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Rxley

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Ok so, I get back to school next month and hopefully next school year I'll come out as a transguy to my school.
    I've read that you shouldn't wear a binder while doing sport, or it can hurt you. What should I do about my sports class at school? the sport uniform is, thankfully, unisex but is skin tight.
    Are there alternatives? Should I try and get out of sport for the rest of the year (which I doubt I could do)?
    I know that if I do nothing I will feel a shit tonne of dysphoria for the whole year.

2. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a lot more convenient to get out of sports for the year, especially because of locker rooms. But if you do need to wear a binder, wear a loose one. If you have one that's worn out, that's good. Or black Underworks binders are looser than white ones, and gc2b binders are looser than Underworks.

3. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wear my binder most days during gym. It probably isn't the best thing to do, but I wash it frequently and it saves me a lot mentally. As bacon said, a looser one would be ideal. If your gym classes are fairly short and you keep practicality in mind (like wearing it only when you're doing less demanding activities, like volleyball vs. running) you'll be fine. Just keep common sense in mind.

#3 DreamerBoy17, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  4. thepandaboss

There is one binder I actually recommend for guys who need a lower impact binding method. It's Underwork's Magicotton Binding bra. Yes, it's technically a sports bra (which kept me from buying it for years) but it's actually a great, discreet binder that I know a lot of trans men like using. It's actually my usual binder now. I can usually wear it for at least eight hours without feeling too uncomfortable and it's a little easier on my ribs and breathing than my tri-top binder. It binds very well on me, and I have a medium sized chest. Extreme MagiCotton Sports Minimizing and Binding Bra - Underworks

But like Cody and Bacon said, just be careful with it anyway. Try not to overdo it. If you can't buy a new binder, an older stretched out one will do quite nicely.