1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Few Concerns

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MorganPrefect, Jan 8, 2016.

1. MorganPrefect

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Two things that have been confusing me. 1. I have a really hard time remembering my childhood because of my dad, so when my parents say I just started saying I am a girl or "showing signs" of being trans until I was 14 I can't argue and I feel like I'm faking being trans. I know some people don't come out until later, but "always kinda knew".
    2. Reconciling how much I love wrestling with being a girl and explaining what being trans is without using A. anatomy B. sterotypes/gender roles to people (and kind of myself)

#1 MorganPrefect, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  2. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. I didn't show signs of being trans until about 14 either. I'm still trans.

2. Girls can like wrestling. That's a nonissue. If it's an issue of being uncomfortable on the boys' team, you just need to think about whether it's worth it to you. Also note that sometimes girls play on boys' teams because they're really good and need the extra challenge that can often come with being on the boys' team.

I can't really help you with how to explain what being trans is. The anatomy explanation works describes me well enough, and I've never been able to really understand or explain any other definition.

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I second what Jesse said, though for me, my memories of identifying as trans go back to when I was in preschool; but that doesn't mean I'm "more trans" than someone else who doesn't share my experience.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Trans feelings can start at different times for different people. Having them earlier does not make a person more trans. Really, it's almost impossible to explain without using anatomy or gender roles. This is because gender is a social construct that is built around the social and biological construct of sex. (I say social and biological construct because many people refuse to accept intersex identities. This is why we see so many so called "corrective surgeries" on intersex people.)

5. Athexant

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Some trans people can remember back to their childhood and know that they started feeling trans early on. However, this does not make anyone "more trans" than anyone else. If you can't remember your childhood, then that doesn't mean you can't be trans. If you identify as a girl, then you're a girl. If you identify as a boy, then you're a boy.