1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing a name

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Alder, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So here's yet another name thread.

I've been working to come up with a name that I like, and although I would prefer having a generally masculine name I realistically need a more gender neutral one. The reason for this is that my parents actually agreed when I talked to them about choosing an English name for myself (I only use my Chinese name where I live at the moment), and when I told them I didn't really want a girl's name but a more neutral one (it was the best way I could put it without suspicion from them), they reluctantly said alright. There was no way I could ask if I could choose a male name.

Ideally the name would be neutral but easily can be read as male, if that makes sense. I've been pretty stuck, and although I like my username it doesn't work too well with my last name.

How did you all pick your names? I kind of been looking at my guys in TV shows or guys I look up to, but I haven't really found one that fits too well yet. Thanks (*hug*)

2. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I write so I have scoured baby name books and websites for male, female and neutral names. I use my middle name, Hope, which is unisex and I'm thinking of using Seth Hope because I like the name. I got Seth from a couple of places; it's the name of an Egyptain god - chaos and mischief if I remember correctly - and from a set of books called Amy Green, Teen Agony Queen. Seth was her boyfriend and I have a squish on him.

In the end it's your name and even if your parents don't like it you could still use a male name as a sort of nickname. My cousin's nickname is Sharon and his brother's is Tracy. Just pretend it's an inside joke between you and your friends.

3. JackIsANerd

I first used Alex when I figured out I was trans, I still like the name but I wanted something that matched my current initials. So I started searching baby name sites and all that but I wasn't really finding anything that clicked. I kinda gave up for a few weeks and I came across a trans youtuber and their name was Jackson! The name was perfect and it went well with my last name, I picked my middle name (Mitchell) because it is like a male version of my current one. So yeah took me awhile but I really like Jackson Mitchell so I am sticking with it! :grin:

I hope you can find the perfect name good luck! (*hug*)

4. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you both for the responses! I'll keep looking and hopefully I can find a masculine name that I like and that doesn't cause any trouble either.