1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My gender?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by FoxEars, Jan 10, 2016.

1. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Right now I'm identifying as transmasculine ftm, but I feel as if I'm trying to cling onto the 'safety' of the female side of the spectrum. I'm also questioning whether I am completely male, but I find myself thinking that people would say that I'm following my trangender (ftm) friend.
    I don't know how this has actually turned out to be, but before anyone came out as part of the lgbt community we were all drawn to each other and became really good friends. Now, in our 'squad' we have 6/7 identifying under one or more of the letters in lgbtqia+. Before I go back to the main topic, I'd like to ask whether all of us meeting could just be a coincidence?
    Moving back towards the main topic, I'm unsure of what gender identity I am. I know that I am not at all on the female side of the spectrum, so we can cross off around half of our identities. To make it easier, I'll bullet point a brief description of me.

-I experience top dysphoria, often using bandages or too-tight clothing to bind. I also hate my hips, while they are not wide they're still wider than a male's would be.

-I'd prefer to wear male clothing (However I'm in between the kids and adult sizes :/) I know that this doesn't exactly determine your gender, but it could be useful.

-I hate being called 'she', full on hate it. I prefer 'they' but of course, only a few of my friends know about that.

-I feel less uncomfortable being called a 'he', though I still don't like it.

-When I was younger I always wanted to be a boy, but not exactly. (I didn't know anything about lgbt at the time) and I'd always try to act like one.

-I've picked up some characteristics that I had got into the habit of when trying to act like a male. I'm happy about this.

-People have said I was a tomboy from a very young age.

-I basically detest most feminine things. (including the gender roles that still seem to apply)

While it's not much for you to go off, I don't have much time on my hands. If you could possibly say your opinions on my identity, my arms are open to accept your help.

Thanks for reading,
    FoxEars.

:help:

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

Nobody, common or uncommon, can decide their biological characteristics [age, race, gender, sexuality etc.] so it's probably that you are just friends who happen to be LGBT+. Unless you formed in an LGBT+ group, then I'd say it's just coincidence.

What you wear and how you act doesn't determine your gender identity.

Gender is how you wish to be biologically and how you wish to be called socially.

#2 Secrets5, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  3. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for your reply.
    I understand what gender is and that what I wear/act like doesn't determine my gender. What I meant was that I'm glad that I don't have many female characteristics (such as walking as if on a line). It makes me feel like I'd be able to pass, I guess.