1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do hormone levels effect anything?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by JetBlackHeart, Jan 10, 2016.

1. JetBlackHeart

I am rather confused about my gender at the moment, I think I'm genderfluid but I'm not sure at all. I also have slightly higher levels of testosterone and get hair on my face and just general things linked with higher levels and I wondered if this would have any affect on how I think about my gender? Would it make me think differently about my gender or have no effect at all?

2. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We don't really know what causes people to be transgender, but one common theory involves higher/lower testosterone exposure in the womb, and testosterone also causes emotional differences in people, so if you're thinking of gender as "feeling like a boy/girl" then that's probable. If you're thinking of it in terms of body dysphoria, that's also probable but nobody knows for sure.

3. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The afab (assigned female at birth) people of my family have thing problem. We all have tyriod and hormone problems that have caused us to grow facial hair that has to be shaved daily. So it was something I thought about daily (and I hated the facial hair as a teen because I thought I'd be picked on if someone notice, as an adult I'd hate to lose it.)
    Then I thought about it this way. Since puberty I've felt like I'm being pulled between male and female, and have always hoped someone would say I was intersexed so that I could declare a mistake was made and thus transition to my rightful sex of male. I want to be male. I've never really felt female.
    The other afab people of my family, they have the same thyroid and hormone problems yet not once have they've ever questioned being female. They've always identified as such.
    It was this realization that made me realize that my hormone problems really have no effect on how I identify.

But I'm also not a doctor, so medically I not't sure.

4. AaronV

Before I started taking T I had my blood checked and it turned out I already had a pretty high T level for someone who is afab. (Which might explains why I could already pass pre-t.)
    Well going with your theory my gender identity should have changed while I was on the pill, because it has estrogen in it, but it didn't.
    Maybe their is a correlation, but scientists have been trying to figure this out for years without any major success...

5. JetBlackHeart

Okay, well that's quite interesting. It sounds quite logical but then not every single person who questions their gender has a hormone imbalance so it messes with the theory.
    Ohh right. I too don't like it as a teen, although it's not too noticeable and if it's noticed by a friend, I do manage to make light of the situation so it's not a huge issue at the moment. I can totally relate to what you're saying! My mother also had facial hair problems in her late teens but has never questioned her gender. That too makes sense. As not everyone with hormone issues ends up questioning their gender. Hmm, it's interesting to consider that rather confusing! Thankyou for your reply :slight_smile:
    That's a good point about the pill. It could be in some way connected or have some sort of contribution but in the end really all the matters is that we're happy with the way we identify ourselves rather than the whys and the how's but I still find it interesting :slight_smile:
    Thankyou everyone for your replies, they've really helped and it's also conformting to know other people have had to deal with having facial hair as a teen and I'm not just strange, so thankyou.