1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hair worries

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Rxley, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Rxley

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hey guys! Exciting day for me!
    Today I had my hair cut from very long hair to super short (yay)!(!)
    My family have always loved my long hair, and I don't think they're going to react well with this change (they are un-aware I'm a transguy), any advise on dealing with negativity?

2. AaronV

The first time I returned home with my freshly cut hair my mother thought someone had broken into our house. :grin:
    I think the important thing is that you like your hair and you shouldn't care about what anybody else has to say. Easier said than done, I know. Try to remember that it's your hair and you can do whatever you want with it. If your family starts getting really negative, say something along the lines of "If you have nothing positive to contribute, don't say anything at all, I like my new haircut." Try to stay confident. :slight_smile:

3. Riz

Riz

My mom is very obsessed with the fact of having long hair (on herself), but she doesn't mind me having it because she sees I feel so much like myself with short hair.
    Hopefully your family will share that mindset!

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's your hair do what you want. Even if you aren't out female bodied individuals can have short haircuts and not give anything away.

5. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just act as if it isn't a big deal, so your parents won't react to your mind set. This has worked for me with a few things in the past, it just keeps the mood more settled than it would be if you made a massive fuss over it. Just don't panic and let things happen as they do, shrug off any negative comments and then talk to someone you trust to lift your spirits.

6. Jiramanau

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd start by simply saying "i wanted to try it, I can always grow it out again if I don't like it" or "i was going to dye it purple but decided on this instead" and hopefully they will chalk it up to youthful experimentation.

The key to pulling something like this off is always to have an answer and stay confident that they will accept it. If you get all anxious and weird they will pry and try to figure out what you're hiding.

7. denouement

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My dad was very upset when I cut mine, it's been a few years and he still makes mean-spirited comments like "You look like a boy now!!" (Thanks, I try :wink: )

I just kept saying things like "Well, I like it better this way" and when I got too fed up, "If you like long hair so much, you could grow yours out!"
    In the summer I also make a lot of unprompted comments about how nice and cool it is now that my hair is shorter.

Additionally,I tried to win him over by showing him pictures of female celebrities who have their hair cut short. For example, Emma Watson had cut hers before, and he knew her from Harry Potter. I don't know if this is a great approach for those who are trying to come out... at the time I was trying to hide it. But it might help for you as well.

I would not say "It can grow back!" because at least in my case, this encouraged a lot of "Well, you should grow it back out then!"