1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling kinda stuck.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Jette, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Jette

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm not sure what to do right now. I see my Therapist once a week and he knows I'm struggling with gender identity right now but since it began I fee like he's kind of brushing it off. He's not a gender therapist so I get this isn't his level of expertise but since my last session I feel like I'm educating him on some stuff. What really bugs me is he's said that he was going to confer with some colleagues about the matter and find some info about support groups but he's said that the last four sessions. I feel like he's putting my other issues ahead of this one. Has anyone had any experiences like this? I had to inform him that most doctors require a referral from the therapist for hrt. Maybe I'm rushing things...

2. InfinityonHigh

If your therapist is uneducated on trans issues, you might want to find a new one that is more familiar with gender issues.

3. AlexTheGrey

I have to agree. My gender issues are so intertwined with other issues that it's hard to discuss one without the other for me. I'd rather have a single therapist that can help me explore it all.

---------- Post added 14th Jan 2016 at 02:26 PM ----------

I'll add: reading this, I wouldn't initially assume that they are malicious, but they do seem over their head. And they are doing what they can by focusing on the issues that they feel like they can grapple with.

4. Jette

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    He is a great guy and he is good with helping my anxiety and depression so I wouldn't want to cut him out completely. I asked if I should look into seeing a gender therapist and he quickly dismissed it. That was at the end of the session so maybe it was his way of saying we should talk about it next time. Thank you for your insights, I guess I should start looking for another therapist's input.