1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

am i allowed to call myself genderfluid?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by penelope, Jan 17, 2016.

1. penelope

Hey. So. I've been questioning my gender identity for a while now. I think it started about that time when I "officially" came out by making an instagram post. And it's been kind of frustrating. I thought that I was finally gonna be at peace with myself, I had come out to the world and I was pretty confident about my identity. Then I started to think about my gender.

It hasn't been as bad as when I started to actually recognize my interest in women a couple of years ago but in a way it has been even more weird. I thought that I had it all figured out but then I realize that I feel kind of wrong when someone talks about me as a "girl" all the time. I just couldn't really wrap my finger around it and I still can't.

Now the feeling has grown, though. I know that I don't fully identify as female, or a girl or a woman but still I feel like I am one. A woman at least, and I'm a passionate feminist. But sometimes I feel like I could be a boy and I would still be exactly the same. I don't know how to explain it, it's not like I think that gender really affects your personality or anything, but I just feel like I could identify as a boy or at least something a little more boy. And I'd still see myself the same exact way I do now.

I don't usually feel like I'm a boy. (I've thought about it though, what would it be like.) But I do feel like I'm more of a boy than all my friends that are girls. And I know that I don't feel "female enough" to be comfortable identifying as a girl only.

So my question is: can I be genderfluid? I don't think that a demigirl label would suit me because it still has that "girl" part and ugh I'm just getting really frustrated going over this on my own again and again.

2. kaz2y5Dean

first off: You are allowed to call yourself genderfluid if you want to and feel as tho that it is right.
    second : Im not very sure but bigender could be it..? it all depends on how you feel but i just thought of that as i was reading..
    message me if you need more help glad to give any i can!

3. penelope

Thank you for replying! :slight_smile: Bigender sounds good too!

Also, I've been thinking about just going with non-binary...

4. kaz2y5Dean

genderqueer is also something ive been going with because it said
    "Those who do not or cannot place a name to their gender" along with a bunch of other identities

5. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you need an immediate label, go with Genderqueer. It's umbrella and stuff. But there are a lot of genders. Agender, bigender, gender fluid, ambigender(<check that out), ambonec, demiflux, demifluid, intergender... The list goes on. And these are just labels honestly. Like you don't have to find an exact place where you fit. But you should check into them, if you're looking to find a place for yourself.

6. penelope

thank you for answering! :slight_smile: this is probably going to take a while for me to find a label i find easily connected to... because although i'm always saying that labels are good but so are no-labels, i think that i'd like an actual label for my gender. even if it was for my knowledge only, i'm pretty sure it would make me more comfortable with myself :slight_smile:

7. ConsciousRose42

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi thank you for sharing helps me too
    I think I'm gender fluid - I feel 35% male and the rest female -
    Sometimes I feel like a boy and then it phases out -
    I always feel some boyish part though
    I am enjoying being both - it's quite fun
    At first it was very scarey but now it's good