1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name Change - Naivity

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Gracilyn, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Gracilyn

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Recently, after days of mental debate, I've decided I want to change my name. I am nervous about this, but I feel that it is something that needs to be done. My legal name, the name I was born with, is a masculine name, and lately being called that has become uncomfortable. So I've decided, and hopefully not on impulse, that my name is Naivity, and that I want to be addressed as such. The problem is that I'm nervous, not necessarily about how other will react, but moreso if it'll be a nuisance to them, that it'd be annoying to call me something different and refer to me as "her" and as "a girl," especially after years of calling me "him" and "a boy." I know I shouldn't concern myself with the preferences of others when it comes to these things, but I'm worried about doing something or something wrong or awkwardly. Does anyone have advice on how to announce things like names and pronouns to your friends and family?

#1 Gracilyn, Jan 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  2. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Erm... Are you sure about "Naivity"? It just sounds like a certain adjective, which I'm sure you realized...

That aside, names do take some getting used to, and it can be like herding cats; trying to get people to call you by your new name. But it's a good starting place for being accepted.

3. Gracilyn

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did Naivity on purpose. I was always ahead of the crowd intellectually, so its an acknowledgement that I'm not omniscient and that I'll always be foolish about something. Thank you for answering!

4. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say that naivety could be a dead giveaway that you made your own name so if you wanted to be incognito at point.