1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

low dose testosterone

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by darkcomesoon, Jan 17, 2016.

1. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm thinking that in the future I might be interested in going on low dose testosterone (not super low, but something less than the standard dose so the changes are a bit slower but still happen in full). I have a lot of anxiety around change so I think having the change happen a bit slower would be beneficial, I have issues perceiving faces and I'm concerned about not being able to recognize myself if my face changes too quickly, and I've heard that it's easier to maintain your singing voice if your voice changes more slowly. Most of the resources and timelines of the effects of testosterone focus on a standard dose, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience with low dose testosterone or could point me towards some useful resources.

Also, I've done some research and think that going on low dose T would be a reasonable choice for me (I know it's not a great idea if you just want to look androgynous cuz you can't predict which changes will happen first, but I do want all the changes, just a bit slower), but if anyone knows any reasons that low dose T isn't a good idea or doesn't work the way I think it does, please let me know.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is really something to be discussed with your endocrinologist. Any hormone dosage, no matter how small, is working with a very delicate system that is really easily disrupted. Only an endocrinologist with experience in this area will be able to give you good guidance in these issues.

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's something to talk to an endo about. Everyone reacts differently to T, so it's impossible to know how any dose will affect you.

4. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course I will talk to an endo when the time comes, but right now I was just hoping to find some general resources so I would get a sense of what to expect, much like you are encouraged to thoroughly research the effects and the timeline of a full dose of T before pursuing it. I am already aware of the effects of T, and at this point I am just wondering if there is a general timeline for when the effects would happen on a lower dose like there is a timeline for a full dose.

#4 darkcomesoon, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I started on a lower dose. There really is not a way to get only the changes that you want. Really, even an endo would have a hard time answering these questuons, since T effects everybody differently. I had issues with my singing voice for a bit, but it has stabilized for the most part now. I have issues perceiving faces as well. I never had a hard time with my face. The changes happen so slowly that it gives you some time to adjust.