1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bathrooms? (Genderqueer)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by iamaunicorn, Jan 20, 2016.

1. iamaunicorn

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So I'm a genderqueer person and bathrooms are quite the struggle for me. I'm sure I could pass as either male or female but I'm not sure which one to go to. Though there are gender neutral bathrooms in some places, there isn't one at my school. Please help me.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that it would depend on if you are out at school or not. If you are not, then I would say to use the bathroom of your birth sex. If you are though, then I would talk to your school about the options that are available to you.

3. Qwertazoo

Following up on what Brad said - and if there ends up being no option available, I do suggest going by your birth sex. I guess it's the closest to a solution there is if it comes to that, since it would take a while if they wanted to install a gender-neutral bathroom.

4. BriSoft

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would also be cautious and maybe even talk to the school counselor if you are comfortable. Some school systems have strange rules these days that can make this simple task a big pile of poop.

Bri

5. IDont Say Aboot

I know that before my school got a gender neutral bathroom I always just waited until I got home to go. Also maybe suggest to someone that a gender neutral bathroom is made?

6. Jiramanau

Out Status:
    Some people
    In public I'd say go in the one you blend in best in. If you easily pass as the gender you're presenting as then use that bathroom, if you're going to make people think you're in the wrong bathroom, you're in the wrong bathroom.

At school however you need to talk to the school administrators before you do anything, it's probably best to start with the school counselor and see what they say. However, once you go beyond the counselor and seek to use a bathroom not for your assigned-at-birth sex your parents will find out, so you should think about talking to them first.