1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I got a gender therapist!! What to expect?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by DreamerBoy17, Jan 24, 2016.

1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So finally, today we got a call out of the blue from a gender clinic near our city! My intake appointment is in 3 weeks, and I'm beyond excited but also a bit nervous.

Like really nervous. I have no idea what to expect. For those of you who have been to some kind of gender counseling thing, what was it like? What kind of questions did they ask you? Any advice you want to give, I'd love to receive.
    And by the way, I trust my mom a lot and would be willing for both of us to do sessions together.

2. AaronV

First of all, congrats! That's awesome! :eusa_danc You don't really need to be nervous, though I guess that's easier said than done.

They will most likely ask about all the basics. Who you are, why you are there, how and when you found out you're trans, what you are hoping to get out of therapy, your plans for the future (hormones, surgeries etc) and many many more. I honestly can't remember all of the questions, just that there were a lot. (Basically ranging from my music taste to my sexuality :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )
    My advice: Try to be as honest as possible, if this is a good therapist, they're trying to help you, not slow you down. It's ok to still have doubts about certain things and express them. When I started gender therapy I thought I had to look as if I was 110% sure about everything, which of course isn't true. They'll most likely also talk about their way of working, if something is unclear, ask questions. Maybe write something down beforehand if you think you'll forget them otherwise.
    Taking your mother is a good idea, she could remind you of things you might forget and it's great to have someone besides you who fully supports you.

3. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mine asked me how I would ideally look, how I felt about my body when I was younger, who I was out to and how they felt about it, how I dealt with dysphoria, signs when I was younger, if I wanted to pee standing up, if I could see myself changing my mind, and to rate my dysphoria on a scale of 1-10. Everyone there was really nice, I was called "he" and my chosen name throughout the entire session. It's really nothing to worry about.

Therealalexbertie on YouTube has a few videos about it. My only advice is to be completely honest, and to relax.

4. misplacedaegyo

A new clinic for youth dealing with dysphoria, confusion about their gender and such just recently opened up on a hospital near me, and I already got assigned a few sessions, so I'm pretty much in the same situation as you, so I'll be looking at the answers here as well ~
    Even if I know I shouldn't be, I'm extremely nervous, because I really have no idea what she's gonna say whatsoever. And I'm also scared that she'll be like "ugh, you're just an annoying and confused GIRL" - but hello, this is her job, I'm sure she's really nice and accepting and willing to help.

#4 misplacedaegyo, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The first appointment is usually a time where you can get to know your therapist better and they can get to know you. They will generally ask what your goals are and what path you want to take to transition. They will also ask how you know that you are transgender, and what made you realize that you are transgender. Also, if you are unsure if medical transition is right for you, your therapist can help you make a decision on medically transitioning. They also usually will know many resources in the area, so they can help you in that way as well. For me, having a therapist helped me feel more comfortable in my identity because I had somebody who I could talk through my feelings with.

I never did any group sessions, so I don't know what to expect there. My family was 2 and a half hours south when I started going to therapy. I would expect that it would be some of the same though.

6. Jellal

I stopped going to my therapist because she kept saying the same thing that my mind was not fully developed since I'm not 25 years old. So because of that I should not take any "drastic actions I might regret." I have since then held back on hormones or medically transitioning in any shape way or form. In some ways I feel stuck in a rut, but I also know that if I was to transition now I could not take the burden. I'm able to get by pretending on a daily basis while at least having contact with close friends and family who know the truth. It's enough to keep me going for now at least...

7. Cedar

I think it might be best to lay out what you want to cover early on. For me, I don't really have any goals so it's harder for me to talk to my therapist because of that.

8. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow Jellal, that's awful! :frowning2:

Thanks everyone for your advice, I feel a bit more ready now.
    And yup, I've begun thinking about what my long term goals really are and the exact specifics of how I knew I was trans/stuff in that vein. Basically I'm trying to get a good hold on my thoughts so I'm cool and collected when they start talking to me. I have the tendency to trip over my words if I'm not prepared, so I think just going in with a plan and knowing what I want to say will help me.

Oh, and on Friday I'm going to a LGBT youth group led by a trans guy. :grin:
    (I feel so spoiled rn...)