1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pronouns and the Public

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Hawk, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This has been on my mind for a few days now, and I just wanted to rant and get it off my chest.

Anyway, I was in the city with my dad a few days ago, and I guess I can pass pretty well as male, even when I'm not trying to, but it can get really annoying when the general public only recognizes the two main genders (male & female). If you look male, you'll get he/himed and vice versa if you look female. It can get really annoying for non-binary genders being constantly mis-gendered and I don't think anyone's going to be outing themselves to random strangers.

This has been really frustrating because to even be recognized as non-binary, you either have to have a sticker on your shirt saying "please use they/them pronouns" or tell every single person who uses gendered language to correct them.

*I guess I do have a question though, when, in your opinion, do you think non-binary genders will be recognized by the general public and people will start using neutral pronouns? Or will it ever happen?

2. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sadly, I think it's going to be a while before non binary genders are recognized widespread by the public. None of my friends had any idea that they were a thing until I explained it. I mean, we barely have binary trans people in the media, let alone non binaries. The thing is, the mass majority of people have a hard time understanding things outside of black and white terms. Then you have the idiots who think that they pronouns aren't grammatically correct. :dry:

I always use they pronouns for people I can't immediately tell the gender of, and of course if requested I will. I get the feeling it's going to be a long road, though.

3. oh my god I

I don't think it is likely to ever happen because there's no consistent distinct external traits associated with nb. If people as a whole get to the point of awareness to be asking everyone about preferred pronouns, we would probably just stop using gendered language instead, probably.