1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name trouble

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by JackIsANerd, Jan 26, 2016.

1. JackIsANerd

So a friend of mine pointed out that the middle name I picked out is too similar to my birth middle name. He said since its basically the guy version of my birth name I am holding onto my old female self. I was wondering if I could get an opinion on this please?

Oh! I should probably mention that the middle name I chose is Mitchell and my birth middle name is Michelle(yuck)!

2. femininemale

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That is quite similar. From one stand point yes you could be holding on but from another, its just a similar name you like. I wouldnt read too much into it. If you like Mitchell and dont want to change it, dont.

3. oh my god I

Uh, I don't get what he was saying at all. a) there's no need to create some kind of extra psychological distance from your old name or presentation and b) the new name you chose is a male name anyway. Sorry I just don't agree with your friend... use whatever name feels right for you.

4. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't personally feel that there's anything wrong at all with Mitchell. There's nothing wrong with using a name that is similar (or eg the same first letter, or the 'male version') or an alternate form of a birth name, as long as you yourself are fine with it. It's just what you feel comfortable with.

If you yourself are particularly uncomfortable with it or don't like it, then you can definitely use another name if you want. If you don't mind it starting with M, then names like Miller or Miles or Maxwell are three that just popped into my head that might sound good with your name Jackson. You can also check out popular guys' names at present day, or around the time you were born. Cheers and good luck ^^

#4 Alder, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  5. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That really isn't his place to judge. If you're comfortable with having the male version of your name, that's totally up to you and it's your decision to make. I like it, personally. And my (probably) middle name would be Emerson, which is the male form of my first name. But that was actually unintentional, I just genuinely liked the name. :lol:

6. AaronV

I don't agree with that at all. In fact I thought I was an ongoing stereotype that most trans people just chose the male/female version of their old name (at least that's one thing I keep on seeing in the media). Honestly, tell him it's your own decision and not his place to judge.

7. eden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i don't agree either. in fact, i think it's perfectly fine. i've known a few people who had opposite gender names similar to their birth name (haileigh / haden). why bury who you were? that's all part of your journey in life :slight_smile:

8. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lots of trans people choose the opposite-gender version of their given name, I don't think it's a big deal and it's nice and convenient. It's ultimately your choice: if you like it, go for it!

#8 Reciprocal, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't agree with that at all either. My birth name was Ashley. My middle name is Ashton. I had actually thought about making Ashton my first name, but I decidedon't against that because there was another Ashton in my family. I decided to use it as my middle name because my dad had choseno the name Ashley and he was sad because he thought I hated it or something.

10. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I disagree with your friend, a lot of trans people use names similar to their own. It is familiar after all.

My first name is Stacy and I plan keeping it Stacy. Its a unisex name and I like the meaning of it. Besides, its already spelled the masculine way.

11. Elli

Soo what if it's similar? There's nothing wrong with having a similar middle name, you still are the same person - before you had to pretend like you actually felt like a female, now you can act how you feel.

12. JackIsANerd

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies (*hug*) I have decided to keep it since I feel like Jackson Mitchell fits me really well! :grin: