1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name Experiment

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by randomconnorcon, Jan 26, 2016.

1. randomconnorcon

Hi guys,

So for the past few months I've been going by Connor. Some people like it, some people don't, but for the most part it's been going well. I feel a connection to it, but also to one other, so I would like a bit of help in ultimately deciding on a name. This experiment will likely go in three stages.

Stage one is you guys, since everyone here has been so welcoming and helpful to me. So for the next couple of weeks or so, I would like to go by Dominic (also fine with Nick and Nicky, but not Dom). You don't have to be involved past this thread, but if you leave a reply try to use the name as much as naturally possible when talking to me. I want to get a feel for how it sounds around me and such. I'm also asking to see which name people might prefer. You don't have to pick a preference, I know that my name is ultimately my decision, but I would like to know if you do have an opinion.

Stage two is talking to a friend who has the same name. He never goes by Dominic, only Dom, which I don't want to do (not just because it's his name). But still, the nice thing is to talk to him about it.

Stage three, if I haven't decided in a couple of weeks, is to ask my parents which they prefer (in general and for me).

Most likely, this will end in a couple of weeks with me sticking with Connor, just like I always have with every name I've wondered about. But Dominic is the only other name I've thought about seriously, so I guess we'll see.

Thanks for any help, guys,

Nick.

#1 randomconnorcon, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  2. H20

H20

It's always a good thing to experiment and see what you like, Dominic. Just remember that you don't always have to stick with one thing or another despite what some people may say. Personally I like both names, but Connor is rather popular compared to Dominic, and I've always had a preference for rarer and oftentimes weird names. What I did with choosing my name is write down a list of names I liked such as Cedric, Colton, Samson, but I ended up going with Quinten!

I wonder how you went about this, Dominic? You do sound like a reasonable, logical guy sorting through your thoughts and feelings.

3. randomconnorcon

First I got down names I liked, tried out different ones while I decided which ones to 'shortlist'. Then I went to the names with first letters that are important to me, which are C and D. Connor and Dominic have always been favorites of mine.

I do like that Dominic is not quite as common as Connor.

#3 randomconnorcon, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  4. randomconnorcon

It's official. I am Connor.

5. Cinis

Cinis Guest

Congrats.Nice name^^