1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accepted myself, now what?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by wolf of fire, Jan 26, 2016.

1. wolf of fire

I have accepted that I trans; now my question is what should I do now?
    I have no idea what to do or how to go about doing it.

2. H20

H20

Honestly it depends on your readiness and your circumstances. Not everyone feels the need to transition or come out at all, but for others it's a requirement. If you want to try transitioning, you don't even necessarily have to do so publicly. Some transgender men and women like being the real them in private for multiple reasons. If this is not the case for you and you want to transition, you can start growing out your hair, change your wardrobe if it doesn't match your identity yet, put on makeup if that's what you like, just figure out what makes you feel most like you. Some people also change hobbies so they're doing what makes them feel most complete.

Now I notice your profile says you're not out to your family, but you are to your college, though I'm not sure if you're talking about both your sexuality and your identity. So the most important thing to keep in mind is your safety of course. Depending on where you're at in college, you can still transition if you want without telling your family if that's something you don't want to do or if you don't think they'll take the news well. If you do want to tell them, make sure you have people to support you in case it doesn't end well.

The best thing to do is take baby steps unless you feel absolutely ready to take on anything that may come at you. Of course you can always consider getting a therapist that specializes in LGBT issues or gender identity specifically so they can work with you on how you see yourself and what to do and whatnot. Most likely though if you do this, you'll be paying out of pocket. Most insurances don't won't pay for this.

And if you haven't already, you can always join the LGBT club/ GSA (gay straight alliance), or find private support groups if you live in an urban area. There are many local and national organizations that having meetings and support group with peers to help guide you and you'll learn from other people like you. You can search for PFLAG or a local LGBT center, or type in your city's name LGBT groups / organizations / centers / clubs / support groups / meetings. Most places are free and some even offer help with counselors or can give you names of counselors to see.

I hope this helps a little.

3. wolf of fire

Thanks for replying; it is my sexuality I was talking about in my out status (one person knows about my gender and I simply don't have space to write it all).
    I have started to do things like wear nail polish, grow my hair out but everyone just thinks I am a goth or punk.

4. Mr Spock

If you feel up to it try searching for help on Google and Youtube. Phrases like transgender, MTF (male to female), and transitioning help may yield results for you. Good luck on your journey! :slight_smile: