1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm scared, I don't want to be a cutter

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by DreamerBoy17, Jan 27, 2016.

1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so ashamed of myself. Finally, I couldn't take the freaking anxiety and dysphoria any longer so for the first time I gave in. Tiny slits on my breasts. Fuck my breasts. I hate them with all of my being, for signifying me as female, for being the symbol of what I am not.

I'm scared. I don't want to cut any more, but the pain felt relieving. :frowning2:

2. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try not to feel too guilty about it--that won't help you. You just have to find some other way to direct your attention, like a sport, or art (writing?), or even getting really into a TV show or something.

Really, the reason why cutting is relieving is because it releases endorphins. Other things that do this are eating (dark chocolate, spicy food, or any comfort food); exercise (which I recommend you do anyway); laughing, genuinely or not; watching/reading really dramatic or comedic things can even release them.

Holding ice (to your chest maybe) has a similar psychological response to cutting, but without hurting yourself. If you don't want to be a cutter, you don't have to be a cutter. Even if you slip up, you don't have to define yourself by that. If it becomes a reoccuring issue, seek help.

Also remember to clean them, even if it's unpleasant it's nowhere near as bad as getting an infection.

3. Mr Spock

Sometimes I draw on myself with a sharpie to distract myself from it all. :\

Don't get discouraged! Good luck! :slight_smile:

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]

It's okay, Cody. A lot of us have been there or are still in that place. I know for me, I sometimes feel so close to relapsing that I can taste it--even going as far to say I thought about downing all my anti-depressants a few months ago.

If you're struggling and looking for alternatives to help you cope with those urges, here's a link to a nice masterpost of what you can try. I know a few of them helped me out when I thought about burning.: all I loved, I loved alone - Alternatives to Self Harm

I'm not sure if it's mentioned with the link, but grounding might be able to help; where you use you count things in your surroundings using your senses (ex: five things you can touch, four things you can smell, etc...). For me, having a plushie or something I can hold onto or play with helps me when I dissociate. I also used to buy coloring books and get lost in those to distract myself from dysphoria as well.

Hope this helps, little bro. :slight_smile:

#4 Daydreamer1, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  5. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you so much everyone, and especially Daydreamer.
    I came here looking for genuine help because I don't want to get stuck in that cycle, and thanks for actually trying to help me instead of chastising me. And that tumblr link is definitely going to help me out a lot. There's a ton of good ideas there.

I appreciate it, guys. (*hug*)

6. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Knit. Seriously, it helps so much. It's a calming distraction, I guess.

7. Jiramanau

Out Status:
    Some people
    You don't have anything to feel guilty about, it's not healthy but it's not wrong. Excersise can boost testosterone levels as well as releasing a healthy dose of endorphins. Try to focus on your goals for your body instead of the current condition. Get a binder, see a counselor, work towards hormones and surgery if that's what you want.