1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Someone Explain The Demigenders

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by H20, Feb 3, 2016.

1. H20

H20

Can someone clearly explain demigender to me and the terms within this area? Like demigirl and demiboy, demiflux, deminonbinary, and demifluid? I can't seem to find anything that explains this in a way I can understand.

Thanks!

2. YinYang

Nonbinary.org

This website explains it pretty well, and it even includes the demigenders other than demigirl and demiboy.

3. pinkclare

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The prefix demi means partially, as in the demigods who were half-mortal, half-god. Demi genders are the same - people who identify as partially, but not wholly, whatever gendered term they put after "demi."

4. Foz

Foz Guest

Demisexuality isn't real, it's another term born on the Internet, we all feel attraction differently, in fact I would argue it's impossible to describe.

What many describe is completely within the scope of 'normal' attraction, it is not a separate identity or sexuality. Just because someone feels different from their perceptions of everyone else, that does not make it a separate identity.

#4 Foz, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  5. noname8387

What do the demigenders have to do with attraction?

It doesn't? then what does make a separate identity? exactly that! Anyone is free to decide what they want to identify as.

6. Foz

Foz Guest

I misread the title, but it's still entirely fictional. You're right, people are free to decide what they identify as, but what they cannot do is distort the truth and try and make them fact and force it upon others. This idea largely hinges around the idea that even gender itself is socially constructed, but I've covered why this cannot be so many times, I really can't be bothered.

Everyone has the right to self identify just as much as I have the right to explain why it's untrue.

7. YinYang

I'm not trying to be rude here at all, but I would like to point out that a lot of terms are born on the internet because it's a way that people can communicate to a lot of other people quickly, so it's a quick way to spread new information. And you're right, demisexuality is extremely difficult to describe, especially if one isn't demisexual themself. But H20 was asking about demigenders in this post, not demisexuality.

The reason Invidia is acting so defensive is because, while you do have a different opinion, you are invalidating other people's identities. You are totally, 100% entitled to your own opinion, but you shouldn't act so rudely when explaining it. Many people feel extremely invalidated when someone acts like this towards their identities. How would you like it if I said that being gay isn't real and that you just need to wake up and face reality? Invalidated, right? That's how your comment can be making others feel right now. I know you have your opinion, and I respect that, but please be considerate when voicing your opinion to others. Thank you.

8. H20

H20

So would you agreed then that any specific demigender would be similar to bigender, with the difference being that instead of feeling like two genders, they would feel partially as one or two? Or that they feel mainly like one gender and partially as another?

For example, instead of being genderfluid someone would be partially male and female, but not wholly?

Or, like in my case, I primarily identify as male, or bigender as a male and third gender, but sometimes I feel I'm male and partially third gender? Would that be a specific demigender?

(Before anyone goes off saying I don't need a label, actually I do. Some people choose not to have one, but I'm the type of person that requires it. I rely on words to get my points and feelings across, and that goes the same for this circumstance on my identity.)

9. YinYang

Right. You just described demifluid.

Honestly? Only if you feel like it. It sounds a little like demi-bigender to me, but you only have to choose that label if you want to.

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This thread was not created to determine the validity of a label. It instead was made to inquire about a label. Let's not let this thread devolve into an argument.

11. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well for me demiboy means that while I feel more like a guy than a girl, I'm not going to medically transition. I'm okay with my body but I very much prefer a flat chest. I like he/him and a masculine name and clothes etc but I don't feel like I fall under FtM. I've always wanted to be a boy, yes, but more so that I'd fit in than because I felt like I WAS a boy. While I feel more like a boy, I still feel feminine; like I still belong somewhat to the 'girl' side.

12. H20

H20

That's a very interesting perspective. I know some people who identify as trans or FtM or MtF don't prefer to medically transition, but I wasn't aware demiboy/demigirl could be similar with some differences. Thanks for your sharing.

Although for me, I'm pretty certain I'm going to medically transition, and my second identify as third gender could make me demi. Someone mentioned above that it'd be like demi-bigender, which sounds about right.