1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody else who doesn't care?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by IDont Say Aboot, Feb 3, 2016.

1. IDont Say Aboot

Okay this is equally a question as a rant, because I am so happy to have FINALLY taken this burden of gender off of my shoulders.
    Previously I had been getting really stressed, confused , and angry about myself and gender. I didn't know if I was agender, demibigender, or male and just faking it to myself to be a "special snowflake" (yup, I used THAT on myself a lot). Upon nearing breaking point yesterday while walking home from school, I paused to consider something. Does it really matter whether or not I have a gender, and if so what it is? I don't "feel male", but I don't feel like any other gender either, but I really don't care if people refer to me as he, use my male name, or think of me as a boy, as long as they avoid stereotyping (which many people do not avoid).
    I know that to a lot of people it does matter, but I figure that if I don't get dysphoria, and my personality is what matters more than my gender, there really is no point to stressing over it.
    So there's the rant, but I'm just kind of curious if anyone else feels the same way, like maybe your assigned sex at birth isn't your real gender, and maybe it is, but you just don't care.

(!)I'm so happy now that that confusing crap is done!(!)
    Thank you for reading my rant! :icon_bigg

2. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Congratulations! I'm so happy that you've learned to accept yourself for who you are and don't feel trapped by labels anymore.

I went through the same thing a few weeks ago with my sexuality. After months of trying to puzzle out whether I liked girls or guys more, romantically or sexually etc, I realized that I basically shouldn't care anymore and now I identify as queer. If anyone were to ask me for more detail I'd say I'm 'mostly gay' but I still prefer the ambiguity.

Sometimes labels are great, sometimes they're just imprisoning, and for me and you I guess it happens to be the latter. I'm glad someone else has gotten one step closer to being who they truly are. :slight_smile:

3. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Of course it doesn't really matter outside of the context of you and your comfort. I remember when I had that revelation as well! It felt really good to just not question it anymore. And even though my presentation, pronouns, and how I refer to myself have changed since I first said 'fuck it', I still don't have a single, 'accurate' term and still don't care.

Nice username btw :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I actually went through a few I-don't-care periods already. They never lasted though. :dry:

5. Jellal

Hey, if you don't have to worry about it, that's great!

Nobody likes stressing over these things.

6. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats on getting to a place where you can feel more comfortable without worrying about specific labels - I think for some of us that's really the answer. If it's made you feel better, I don't doubt it's the right thing!

I got to a similar point recently (as in literally yesterday, haha) after about a year of angsting constantly about what the heck gender I am, and it feels a LOT better to just...not go there and shrug and let people make their own minds up and let myself do whatever feels right in any given moment.

So yeah, good for you! (And good for me, and good for us!)