1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I transgender?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by iHeartYouu, Feb 5, 2016.

1. iHeartYouu

Am I transgender?
    I'm born a female, and I'm 17 now. All my life I hated to doll myself up, never played with barbie or girly toys and always preferred cars or nerf. I guess I identify myself as bisexual as I don't mind having sex with guys. So far I didn't have any crush on a guy before (just find some cute) but I've had a major crush on a girl before, but never imagining having sex with one. Whenever I see my female friends dolling themselves and playing with makeup, I felt depressed, as I'm not pretty myself, and I always have a boyish personality, so I would get made fun of if I play with make up. If given a choice, I would much rather dress in boy's clothes. I felt like it is so much easier to dress up as a guy, like a shirt and pants will do.
    I have a long hair, but its always up in a ponytail. I thought of cutting my hair to a boy haircut, but I am really afraid of the stares and the judging by other people.. Right now I don't know what to do..
    On a side note, I haven't come out of the closet yet. Plus I know my parents aren't accepting. I'm really at a loss.

Also if you have any experiences for a first FTM haircut? Please share if you don't mind! :slight_smile:

2. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. Gender roles have nothing to do with being trans, and those sound like the only things you have an issue with. You can be a girl who likes masculine things.

3. iHeartYouu

Thanks for your reply! Does that mean I'm just a tomboy?

4. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most likely, yeah.

5. AlexTheGrey

I hesitate to say you are just a tomboy. You are you. If that's a woman who has masculine taste in how they dress and would prefer short hair, that's fine. Honestly, there are a lot of women who rock that style, and do it well. I wouldn't let gender norms decide your identity.

6. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Let yourself be yourself - you do you, darling! You sound like a tomboy to me. Maybe try some things out. Like, if you're afraid of stares, maybe you can have a short haircut, like shoulder-length or something.

7. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^^^

8. HardToSay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are just not comfortable with traditional gender roles, you do not seem to be trans.

Just ignore gender roles and be yourself.

9. CharacterStudy

I'm a scientist by training and seriously, most of the women I know, myself included, are fairly tomboyish. We didn't play with dolls, preferred cars and trousers. I remember being given the option of knitting or building a chicken shed at primary school. I was the only girl who chose to build the chicken shed, with all the boys. At secondary I was sometimes the only girl in my science classes, and in my career I have been massively outnumbered by men.

I do dress up when required, wear make up a few times a year but am more likely to be found in my jeans or yoga kit. On field work out of 50+ women at uni there would be 1 or 2 who put make up on or did their hair. They were the ones seen as a bit odd, not the rest of the women who were in field gear.

I am most definitely female. Just do what you like. There are plenty of 'tomboys' out there.