1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When They Ask For Gender, What Do You Put Down?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by H20, Feb 5, 2016.

1. H20

H20

When is it acceptable and not acceptable to put down your gender identity on paper? I know when it comes to legal stuff you have to put your birth name and sex down because of your birth certificate, and when it asks for the sex, you have to put down whatever matches your anatomy. But what do you do when it says gender?

For example, the one thing I'm having difficulty with, is that I'm opening an account on Cappex which is a college resource for high school students. It says gender but only gives me female and male as options, and I don't feel comfortable putting either down. Either I'm lying to them or I'm lying to myself, and I just wish it offered transgender or other and allowed me to specify. And since I haven't used this site in a while, I can't even remember if there's even a spot for me to clarify this later in my profile. :tantrum:

Advice? :eusa_doh:

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

In your situation, I would put (trans)male because it isn't about them, it is about you and where you want to go.

3. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm actually trying to figure this out as well. If there is an other option I usually go with it, but in cases like that I tend to finally go with what I was assigned with at birth though I rather go with male

4. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does the website need to identify you for whatever reason? For example, if you used a fake name, would it defeat the purpose of the website? If so, put your legal gender. If not, put your preferred gender.

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When it's a legal document since I haven't transitioned and changed my gender legally I have to put male. But non legal issues I put female.

6. AaronV

Since my name and civil status are changed I put down 'male', even when they specifically ask for sex, especially when the situation is not medical. Everything else would just lead to confusion. Plus, if I'm just going to the doctor because I've got the flu I don't see the necessity to mention the fact that I don't have a penis.

If you haven't officially changed your name and this is a website that is linked to you as a person, you need to use your birthname and sex, if not, you can put down whatever you prefer.

7. H20

H20

Thanks everyone! Really helpful and I appreciate it.

8. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can put male everywhere since my status is legally changed now.

Before that, I had to put female if it was official, but I put male if it wasn't.

9. thepandaboss

Legal = whatever's on your ID

Informal = whatever you feel comfortable with.

That's what I've always done. I'm now legally male but even before I was able to change everything, I'd just list myself as male whenever I thought I could. If I'm signing up for Pinterest- male. The only time I'd list female was if it was government/financial/school related thing.

Generally for official type stuff, you go with whatever's on your ID since that's what people will be looking at as proof of identity.

In some cases, some organizations (like certain health clinics) might ask you to list what your legal gender is but will also ask you what your preferred pronouns are and how you identify. So keep that in mind. A lot of colleges have started to do this because they know some of the student body might identify as transgender/gender variant.

#9 thepandaboss, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016