1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Revealing My Trans Identity

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by H20, Feb 5, 2016.

1. H20

H20

Based of your own experiences or past events, or opinions, for someone who is willing to be open about their identity, in what situations would you say you should and shouldn't reveal this? I mean outside all the legal mumbo jumbo obviously.

And when and how do you recommend bringing up preferred names and pronouns in these situations?

I wouldn't say I'm out publicly, but I wouldn't have a problem really telling anyone to be honest. My family knows and the reason why no one else knows is because my personal life has been dicey and I have no social life, so that leaves no one else to tell except school. I told one of my teachers yesterday because they wanted to know where I got my preferred name from my legal name, and I guess there's a maybe issue where I might not be able to be called my preferred name because it's nothing related to my birth name which I find absurd. As for school, there's not many interactions since I go to an untraditional school (although I just started it) and if anything happened, I have no trouble outing myself. I'm very proud of myself where my sexuality and identity come in.

But I feel the need to tell everyone that I'm a trans guy. Which I know isn't always wise. My state has minimal protection laws, but Florida is also a very wild state with some dangerous people now and then. Yet protection laws don't always prevent mistreatment and ill judgment from transphobic individuals.

So basically, what are the Do's and Don't's of revealing yourself? As I know there's a wrong way to go about this at times, and sometimes safety could be an issue occasionally.

2. JackIsANerd

I am also in Florida and I am super scared to really tell anyone right now. I of course want to tell my family sometime this year but other people not so much. :tears:

3. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would always judge the situation and person first. I have no problem saying I am trans because it is part of my identity, and because in the earlier part of my transition it will be hard to hide till I can pass.

After that I wouldn't tell to many people except future partners, and any friends because it will be something that I will probably slip up and mention.

But as in right now, pre-T. I have revealed on facebook and friends, but I haven't enforced any pronouns or names yet.

4. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think gut reactions are often right. If you feel safe and comfortable, then go for it. If something feels off, then don't do it. If you're unsure, test the waters by bringing up trans people (it can be easy as mentioning Caitlyn Jenner, Laverne Cox, or some other trans public figure) and looking for a reaction.