1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College & Being Trans

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by H20, Feb 5, 2016.

1. H20

H20

Apparently I have a lot of questions today. Haha.

Anyway, I've been seeing a lot of college issues going on lately (or at least I'm managing to find all these ones). I'm very interested in college and have done plenty of research and although I still don't know where I'm going nor have I slimmed down my majors like I should, I have some idea of what I want.

However, being transgender, filling out most applications or answering questions and the whatnot, you have to put female or male down. I understand I'm supposed to tell them I'm female, but during what part of the process am I supposed to tell others I'm transgender so I can see if they can help me with accomodations or if I have to figure out rooming with others or getting an apartment?

• Also, what questions should I be asking when my identity comes to play?
    • What should I be concerned about or looking for in my particular circumstance as a trans guy?
    • Is there anything I should be avoiding?
    • What all do I need to talk to the adviser/counselor/admissions officer about?

For anyone who's also in college or have been to college while out or transitioning, what advice would you have to office? Any stories you'd be willing to share about your experiences would also be appreciated.

If it makes any difference, most likely I'll be heading to California or the West Coast in general for college, assuming I can get financial aid, but I'm also keeping my options open. I'd prefer to go to a friendlier LGBT community than not for obvious reasons, but I can settle with okay environments that would be safe. I'm hoping to transition in college and I'm seriously considering going on T, so this is very important for me.

2. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do mark female on the application, but I think once you've decided a college is one you're really seriously considering it's worth contacting them. I'd recommend asking about housing options (you usually can't be put in a guy's dorm for legal reasons, but gender neutral housing is sometimes an option) and how easy it is to get your name changed in the records (if that's something you want to do). Most of the coming out process is more social than administrative, or on an individual level (like emailing a professor before class starts about your name/pronouns).

I would look for an LBGT friendly college, preferably with some sort of LGBT center that will be able to give you advice/support (and it also signals that the college really is LGBT friendly). Be wary of a college where you can't find people in admissions or anywhere else that seem to know how the college would handle trans people.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would mark female on the application, since legally that is what you are considered right now. I would research any schools that you are interested in going to. Many schools have what is called either "gender inclusive" housing or "gender neutral housing". Some will also have living-learning communities for people who are LGBT identified. I would also see if the school has an LGBT (or whatever acronym they choose) center. If they do, you may be able to contact them to find out more about the transitioning resources and policies at that school.

4. eden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    H20, I have a very important private message for you but I cannot PM you (idk why). All I can say is that UNF is the only college in your state offers Transgender Housing. They have a fantastic LGBT Resource Center and a lovely campus. Look it up. I wish there was some way we could chat.

5. H20

H20

This is really great advice. I'll be sure to keep in mind to look for neutral or I think it's called Coed housing, as well as emailing the professors. Currently I am searching through colleges and once I find the ones that meet adequate standards for me, I'll investigate further into the LGBT friendliness so I don't get disappointed afterwards.

Thanks so much!

Hello eden. The reason why you can't PM yet is because I'm not a full member quite yet and I believe that's why. And neither are you yet. I believe in order to PM you have to have posted 50 posts and been a member for two weeks at least, and then fill out a form.

However, thanks. I'll definitely have to look into UNF. If you still want to contact me, if it's not like super private personal information, you could always post the message on this thread or onto my wall.

6. Mr Spock

If they have a special section for comments just mention that you're transgender. That will catch their attention. :lol:

7. H20

H20

True, so very true Mr Spock. :bulb:

:laugh: