1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Find A Therapist?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by H20, Feb 9, 2016.

1. H20

H20

So I know I definitely need a therapist for multiple reasons besides just my gender identity, but I think a lot of my anxities and depression have stemmed from being transgender, so I need someone who specializes in this field. The only problem is I don't know how to find anyone. I have tried several googling ways, but I know some places aren't easy to find on google and was hoping there was another way??? Besides that, every single one I find it strictly for people 18 and up, which is a bummer since I've not quite 18.

Although I do have concerns because I need a therapist, but don't think I'd be able to afford one. Some take medicaid from my understanding, but I don't think my insurance is technically medicaid, and then others only take money. So if that's the case, I don't think I can get to a therapist because I can't afford one, and that thought is alarmingly heartbreaking. I know I need help to get resources I need and personal guidance and on how to best transition for me, and EC is great and all, but only so much can be done, ya know?

Ideas?

2. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was first finding a therapist, I used PsychologyToday.
    You can narrow your search down to "Transgender Issues" and "Age".

Good luck. :slight_smile:

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can also try looking up gender therapists on google by searching "gender therapists in *your city or zip code*" and you might get some results. That could also be fairly helpful if PsychologyToday doesn't show much.

4. H20

H20

Thanks peeps! I'll give your ideas a try and hope for the best. Fingers crossed.

5. H20

H20

Oh, are there any particular questions I should be asking? Or anything specific I should be looking for in a therapist?

6. TraceElement

Make sure they know you want to transition and would eventually like a letter to and endocrine doctor stating you are ready for T. Check out laurasplayground.com as they have some more resources.