1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Earring-- left or right ear?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Benway, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, I didn't know where else to put this, and if it's in the wrong place a mod can move it. But it involves expression of my sexual identity so I thought I'd put it here.

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting an earring! One of my friends is a tattooist/piercer and I asked him if the "left is right, right is queer" rule still applied when a guy gets his ears pierced, to which he said he didn't really know, as he works in a pro-shop and does a hundred piercings a day and doesn't bother to ask guys about their sex life (he's straight) but he said he didn't think it really still applied. But I'm not entirely sure. I'd like to get my right ear pierced, but at the same time I don't want to rouse suspicions from my family that I'm gay.

So, does anybody know if the "left is right, right is queer" rule still applies in 2016? If it does, that's fine, if not, so much the better, it would mean it only means something to me and those who 'get it.'

2. noname8387

I think the fact of you wearing an earing is more "suspicious" than on which ear it goes in.

#2 noname8387, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  3. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, what do you mean?

4. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It probably depends on where you live. Where you are it doesn't seem like a thing, but where I live it does.

5. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I live in a blue state, if that helps.

6. eden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The "queer on the right side" thing is still a thing? OMG, that was such a big deal in the 80s, I remember as a tiny kid. That was the first homophobic thing I ever learned.

I got both of my ears pierced the day I turned 18 (Mom wouldn't let me do so before that) but I have no ink. Thinkin' about a nose piercing now.

Why not both ears, Benway?

#6 eden, Feb 12, 2016
  7. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Why not both ears? Because from what I understand maintaining an earring takes some work and I've never done anything like it before and I don't want to rush into things too quickly and mess up.

As for the "left is right, right is wrong" ideology, my first memory of it was seeing a man with an earring in his right ear when I was a kid and I asked my Dad why that man had an earring (I was a sheltered kid, I had no idea how the world worked, to an extent, I still don't) and my Dad said something like "He had an earring in his right ear, never, ever get an earring on your right ear," to which I asked why and he told me "It means you hate women."

So naturally now I want to get my right ear pierced, not because I hate women, but because of how adamant he was about me not getting my right ear pierced.

#7 Benway, Feb 12, 2016
  8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mind is blown if that garbage statement is still being said by people, regardless if you're living in a red or blue state.

9. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow I've actually never heard that saying before. Maybe because of my age? Do whatever you feel comfortable with, I mean obviously I had no idea about it!

10. eden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember first seeing George Michael with two earrings in his ears and of course, years later we all found out he was gay but I'm a symmetry guy (and I, too, was very sheltered growing up) so when I got them, I got both ears.

I don't "hate" much. I love women and gay people do, too. Doesn't mean they want to have intercourse with them :slight_smile:

Two earrings look so cute. I'm afraid with one ear, it would look dated but to each his own. You rock the style that suits you best!

11. TheRealTheaJane

Well, from what I remember my father said something about "queerbeards having the ... ear pierced" (his words, sorry!) And he'd got his left one pierced, so I can only assume the right ear is the one you want to get done to show LGBT pride! \^o^/

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was growing up, the saying about earrings (for men) was "left is right, and right is wrong". (In this case, gay=wrong.)

I suspect that now that earrings are so widespread that no one will assume you're gay because you wear earrings. But it certainly does draw more attention than not having them.

13. Zuzu

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I haven't heard anything like this since the 80's. Back then lots and lots of guys (straight or not) were wearing earrings, it was the fashion. However, despite the "rule" I don't think most people followed it anyway.

14. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    And I'm looking to draw attention to right kinds of people. I want to offend churchgoers and the people at the pharmacy but remain inconspicuous to my Mom and Dad, who were my age in the 1980s (the height of Reagan's America/AIDS panic) so what I think I'm saying is:

Would getting a piercing in my right ear attract attention to the right kinds of people while telling my parents that the "left is right, right is wrong" rule no longer applies even though in my case I want to look "wrong?" It should be of note that I got my hair frosted the other day, and my Mom looked at me funny (even though her haircuts cost upwards of five hundred and ninety dollars so she's really the last person who should ever judge me about the way I do my hair when she's done crazier things to hers and at several hundred dollars worth more than I spent on my forty dollar haircut).

My Dad, who as I've said, sweetest guy in the world, means well, but is a firebrand conservative Christian Republican already has a vague inkling that I'm gay and doesn't really care. (Hell, I've flat out told him I suck cock and he's said something like: "as long as you're not a communist that's A-OK in my book")

But my mother. My mother is a psychopath with a heart of gold who will not hesitate to break me down and try to control every aspect of my life, as per her Catholic/Jewish upbringing dictates that worry equals love and love equals guilt. I made a post about her attitudes, somewhere on here but it got buried awhile ago.

#14 Benway, Feb 12, 2016
  15. eden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i think an earring in the right ear only would send the signal you're looking for. you're 28, I say go for it! carpe diem!

plus, you can remove it before you see your parents.

16. denouement

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't know that many people these days would realize what it means; in my area so many guys have earrings it's meaningless if you have one or what ear(s) it's in. But it sounds like right ear would be the way to go, in case someone in your area does realize the meaning : )

17. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That is a viable option, yes. Like I said, my Dad doesn't really care what I do, but my Mom is much more involved in my life than I'd like.

Like, I'm just gonna run a simulation here:

(Dad sees me with an earring)
    "Hey cool, you got an earring. You know left is right and right is wrong, though, right? You done goofed up, there, boy." Followed by a hearty chuckle and the sound of us cracking open beer and laughing at bad movies.

(Mom sees me with an earring)
    "What the hell is going on with you? First you get your hair frosted and now THIS? Are you still gay? Your grandmother would be spinning in her grave, I can't believe you. I just can't believe you." Followed by possibly days of silence and/or insisting that I talk to someone 'professional' about my (assumed, on her part) sexual urges.

Granted, that's one of the many worst possible scenarios.

#17 Benway, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  18. eden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    the one with your dad was funny! would it really go like that? if so, you can leave the earring in then but i suppose you'd have to remove it because of mom.

i grew up with the guilt and shame and i'm thinking that your mom is probably just taking a long time to digest the fact that you're gay. you did frost your hair. (but you got your hair frosted, that's so cute!)

your grandparent has passed so you don't put that extra guilt on yourself. she's not literally spinning, though.

i think if your piercer is open, go today. treat yourself. you sound like a totally cool person.

19. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know my grandmother isn't spinning in her grave, my Mom tends to use that argument whenever she sees something she doesn't like. The hair frosting was a real spur of the moment thing, I just sort of... went ahead and did it. My one friend said he liked it, but he thought it was highly uncharacteristic of me, though he did add "in spite of all that, I'm proud of you."

There's probably a piercer open today, but I am not leaving the house on the account that it's about two degrees outside and the wind is blowing hard-- it's way too cold to go anywhere. But I'll probably go do it in the near future.

My Mom, like my Dad, has a vague inkling as to my sexuality, but she's way deeper in denial about it. There was... an incident some time ago which forced me out of the closet temporarily and my Dad accidentally told her something about it thinking she already knew and she flipped shit on me. She flat out asked me "Are you gay?" And I flipped shit back on her, turning the tables turning into a 'homophobic bro' to try and hide it, but she saw right through my ruse, dragging me into the fire.

Like I said, my Dad doesn't care, so yeah, that's probably what'd happen with him. But my Mom is certifiably insane. We've thought about having her institutionalized, but in a post-Reagan America, that's hard to do. Though a lot of me thinks that may be overreacting.

20. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [YOUTUBE]Axl4ZeZBEGA[/YOUTUBE]