1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Passing: Masculinity

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by non, Feb 12, 2016.

1. non

non

Hey. So I'm non binary, and I'm AFAB so I have a naturally high voice. I'm also very short. I'd like to present myself in a more gender neutral or masculine way. No matter how masculine I dress, I feel like some things just "give me away". Like, I have a feminine name and she/her pronouns around most people, since I'm not out (I prefer they/them pronouns and the name Eliot though). But the other parts of me, like my voice- I feel like they scream GIRL. Any tips on deepening my voice? Or just other ways to pass as masculine? I'm hoping to get a proper binder soon- I've been using sports bras. I can't get T since 1. I'm not out 2. Getting T is hard enough and non binary people aren't legally recognized here.
    I try to thicken my eyebrows, contour my face to appear more manly, wear masculine clothes and I have short hair. I constantly get mistaken as a "butch lesbian"- I have no problem with them, but it's just not me. :help:

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

2. pinkclare

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on how people in your area dress, but I've found that often dressing more professionally/conservatively masculine can really help. Butch lesbian styles in my area tend to be more either grungy, punk rock, or vintage dapper. While a lot of men do wear these styles too, they also wear regular boring business casual men's clothes, which tend to be an uncommon choice for butch women. When I was in that "in between" stage of early transition and was in positions where passing was more important than dressing as myself, I found the most success if I aimed for a "just got home from the office" look. In clothing definitely, but also haircut, grooming, and accessories.

Other than that, make sure your masculine clothing fits right. Too high waisted or too tight in the hips are going to emphasize a female figure. Too baggy or uncoordinated and you slip back into the grungy butch look. Use layers and busy patterns to help disguise your chest while you're waiting for a binder. Plaid oxfords combine the conservative male look with the busy pattern technique well.

3. Mr Spock

Using makeup is not super likely to make one look masculine in most situations. The best thing to do with your eyebrow is to just let them grow out and groom them to look neat, but not enough to look suave and girly. Try wearing men's boots or shoes that make you taller, or even try a sole insert. Make sure your hair is cut in an androgynous/male style, nothing that says pixie or butch cut.

On your voice, I would say that you could try talking in a more or less monotone from your chest to deepen your voice. You could also practice singing alto or lower parts to songs or try to match another guy's voice.

Try reading: ftmguide.rassaku.net/

Good luck! :slight_smile:

#3 Mr Spock, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016