1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mannerisms, clothing and identity- anecdotal thoughts and stuff.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Canterpiece, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I started to write a reply to this thread here: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/chit-chat/204966-females-women-girls-all-ages-maam-miss.html
    and a realised I was starting to go rather off topic so I thought that my post I was going to write would make a nice thread here instead.

I don't get called miss or Ma'am. Everyone 'round where I live tends to just be called "duck" or "love". I sometimes get lady, which is rather odd for me- though I've noticed I only tend to get called "lady" when I wear more feminine clothing, such as a skirt or a dress- which I don't like wearing, but I do so to appease my mother. These days I tend to get called "lady" more often- but only recently has this started happening, so "young woman/lass/lady" are the ones I tend to get these days.

In my old friend group, I used to get called "lad/mate" a lot and I remember when I forgot my PE shorts once, and it was too hot to run in my usual school trousers- so I had to wear my school skirt. I was running to a Rounder's post and people were cheering me and this guy said "go on (my nickname)lad!" and they saw me wearing a skirt and this guy who was stood next to the other corrected him "That's not a lad, that's a lady!".shaking his head at the other.

I would also get comments like people saying I didn't "count" as a girl because I chose to wear school trousers instead of a skirt most of the time. As well as occasionally being referred to as a "he". There was a time when I was in English and this guy was guarding the door and only letting a few people in (me being one of them) and he turned around and made a comment about the fact there weren't "any girls" in the room. I made a fake coughing sound, and upon realising what he'd done, he apologised to me saying he'd forgotten about me being a girl. The way he said it didn't seem particularly malicious, more so like an honest mistake.

It did seem rather odd to me though- considering at the time I had a rather feminine "baby face" and long, dirty-blonde hair and a lanky un-athletic body (and still do), and the fact that I had nearly almost all female friends. My interests weren't particularly "masculine" either.

So it got me wondering, why were people treating me this way? And then I saw a few videos of myself that others had recorded (one for a school project, and a few others when I was just messing around with a couple of friends just filming whatever and usually deleting it or snap-chatting it) and it hit me. As well as the trousers, it was also the mannerisms- I hadn't really noticed before until I saw myself on camera, the way I sat, held myself, spoke- it wasn't particularly "feminine" as it were- and it shocked me to see that I was doing these things without even thinking or realising much.

Admittedly, I did wonder if I was Trans at one point. When I was little (before puberty) I used to run around shirtless outside in my garden. :grin: Just because I could really.

I identified as gender-fluid at one point, but that didn't seem right either.
    I found that my body wasn't really the issue- I didn't want a male body, nor did I associate with male pronouns either. I like this feeling of being female- and I like being referred to with female pronouns. The issue was more so that I was jealous of what the guys had around me. I had started to fall into depression at that point with feelings of "If I'd be born a guy, then I'd be able to talk about girls and maybe I'd fit in somewhere- at least better than this, but at the same time I like having a female body and I can't see myself as a guy".

It was a confusing time. :/

These feelings started to go away when I found friends who were also in the LGBT community, and a more accepting environment. These days me and my friends often talk about crushes and dates and stuff freely, I know quite a few people who are "out" and it's treated as a rather non-issue here. That's not to say that there aren't homophobic idiots around, because there are but you get that anywhere so. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Anyone else been through something similar? What do you think of my experiences? Any thoughts in general? :slight_smile:

#1 Canterpiece, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  2. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah, english banter is idiotic, but for some strange reason (perhaps because it is so idiotic) I find it quite funny :grin:

3. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, true. Language, it can be an odd thing really. :confused: :shrug:

4. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you like having those mannerisms and talking in a more ''male'' way, continue to do so. Truly, you're not trans unless you feel you are :slight_smile:

Feel lucky that your language doesn't have gendered adjectives. Holy crap, that's annoying as all hell!

I always found some kind of comfort in English because it's not as gendered :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I always found that when trying to learn German- I'd always get the "Der" "Die" and "Das" bit wrong. :eusa_doh: And don't get me started on French- we only did a bit of French at school but I was terrible at it. :eusa_doh: We also did Welsh at one point- but I don't think that had any gendered adjectives in so that was ok, I don't remember any of it though.

I've always found it weird how one letter in a word can completely change the word's meaning, plus a comma changing a sentence's meaning based on its placement. But yeah.. I digress. :icon_redf

#5 Canterpiece, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016