1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conflicted with self and family, any advice?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by argonaut, Feb 16, 2016.

1. argonaut

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am biologically female and identify solidly with using female pronouns. I like the tenderness and emotional intuitiveness, that I believe, is intrinsic to a female (although I only display it to few). Overall, I align with my gender, mentally. However, physically it's always a war.

I've never associated femininity with myself and I know it is not exclusive to females, but there's some aspect of my identity that goes beyond the female identity. I think I have dysphoria to some degree. When I speak my voice sounds too high and I never want to talk. When I look in the mirror I feel too curvy, and want to hide, and when I behave I feel too 'hyper' and feminine and it angers/saddens me. It's confusing because I still firmly identify as female. (I've tried living as male for a bit but it wasn't the right fit.)

Because of societal pressures, and being the only daughter in my family, I feel it's my duty to represent females as strong, feminine and capable women (especially with the chauvinistic men in my family). I deeply resent the stereotype that all gay women/lesbians are angry butch man-hating women, and it makes me want to prove bigots wrong. Coupled with a conservative family (who are ironically natives to the liberal city of NYC), internalized homophobia, and my expression and identity being at odds with one another, I feel like I'm in limbo. I want to prove people wrong and not estrange myself from family, but by pleasing others I won't be happy.

Is there a term for this 'identity'? I know labels aren't necessary, and I'm not a label a person, but I need something to cling to, at least for now. I'm not comfortable with a feminine presentation, and I can't imagine myself in the future presenting as such at all. I'm grasping at straws trying to make sense of things.

How can I overcome societal and familial stigmas? I'm very close with my mom, and I won't lose her, but I'm afraid of isolating myself from her because. Although she's one of the few tolerant people in my family, the whole gender thing confuses her. Secondly, I deeply resent ignorance and fulfilling stereotypes, and I don't want my existence to be a political statement everywhere I go, but I want to be happy. But, I can't seem to overcome the expectations of everyone else and be how I want to be.

Any advice for a conflicted soul? :help:

#1 argonaut, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  2. KittensandCandy

I don't know exactly what your gender is but when you say you don't feel male but there's also a part of you that feels beyond female this sounds non- binary. There are quite a few labels which describe your gender as being mostly one gender or only a little of a certain gender such as:
    demigender, monogender, magigender/ paragender, nanogender etc. I suggest these main ones simply because you said you feel there is 'some' aspect of another gender.

As for your dysphoria there are voice training exercises on YouTube you could check out to help lower you're voice and also tips on how to wear a binder and what to wear with it to make you look less curvy.

Your happiness is very important. You don't need to be unhappy just to please others.
    Just like anyone else in the LGBTQIA+ community it's not your responsibility to represent women a certain way or to discourage stereotypes, it's fine if you want to do it but you aren't held responsible for not educating ignorant cishet people. If you contribute to the stereotypes that's fine too, you dont need to avoid being a stereotype because they do exist too it's the cishet idea that all lesbians are butch and man-hating.

I don't know you or your mother so I can't advise you on the exact choice you should make but the options you have are do or don't tell her. If you Do tell her there is that risk that you isolate yourself from but there's also a chance you won't. On the other hand you don't tell her and you wouldn't be living the truth and might be unhappy about this :/ If gender confuses your mum and you want to tell her still, try to find as many resources online relating to how you feel as you can and try different approaches because there may be one way that makes sense to her.

And remember your happiness comes before being a political statement.

Good luck I hope this helps :slight_smile:

#2 KittensandCandy, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  3. argonaut

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the input. I think growin' up with a conservative italian family with guys spouting a lot of ignorant alpha-male crap, made me internalize a lot of things and deeply resent ignorant stereotypes. I love my family, and I know they feel the same, but they're just coming to grips with the fact that I'm gay, and they're still tryna grip with that.

My mom though, she's a selfless person and will love me regardless, but gender talk confuses her and she cries at the drop of a hat, and I'm just not like that. I don't want to see her emotional and confused, but I wanna be happy too.

I just wanna live my life, have my family, and be happy in my skin. That's all that's important to me. I guess I haven't worked everything out with my own acceptance, and I'm scared of losing those are are the most important. But man, my happiness is important too.

4. KittensandCandy

Yeah if your family are just coming to terms with you bring gay you might want to take things slower.

In regards to your situation of explaining your gender to your mum, you could try making it more visual? Maybe try drawing a long bar/tube/cylinder (whatever looks best to the two of you) colour it the amount of female you feel (I know pink is just a stereotype but it's probably a better colour to use because it's so often associated with being a female colour which might just make it easier to look at) then colour differently or leave blank the rest. Show it to your mum and say "this is how much girl I feel and this is how much (other gender) I
    feel. :slight_smile: