1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender Thatapist concerns

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Unsuretim, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Unsuretim

Well i have begun my research into finding a gender therapist but im having concerns. One is that others are saying that it may be a problem for me. I guess my question is this- Is this not suppose to be confidential? I have no problem talking to one about my feelings and maybe give me insight but im just worried about confidentiality. If this who I think I am it would help to talk to someone like them. Am I just really not afraid to talk to someone like that or are there other issues people want me to be concerned about. Im pretty confident whoever it is will give me yhe best advice so I know who I am. Im just concerned about privacy with regards to why im there and who knows.

2. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Where have you heard that it's not confidential? All therapy is confidential. A therapist cannot tell anyone anything from your sessions (with a couple exceptions: they can disclose information if you are going to hurt yourself or someone else and it can be stopped, and they are required to report ongoing abuse of children, the elderly, or those with disabilities). Unless you tell people that you are going to a gender therapist, no one will know other than you and your therapist.

3. Unsuretim

I guess i did not explain it that well but the end result was what i was looking for that it is confidential. No one said it i was just trying to figure out why some people were telling me that i might not be able to see a therapist because i might not be willing to talk to them. My post really was not very good and i apologise. I better clean them up and be a lot more clear. But thank you thats what i thought. Sorry again about the bad wording in my post.

4. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't worry about it. Your post was fun. But yes, therapy is completely confidential, and if you think you'd be comfortable talking to a therapist about gender, I think you should go for it. I suspect people are making assumptions about whether or not it's something you'd be comfortable with, but you know yourself better than they do.

5. Unsuretim

Is it unusual for a person to want to let it all out. I have no problem talking and being honest with a therapist. I just want to get to the bottom of all this and finally know who I am. It is driving me insane being torn down the middle physically being one psychologically the other. I just think it is the most important thing to do and that is know for sure.