1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peer Pressure Sucks

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by DreamerBoy17, Feb 16, 2016.

1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In reality, no matter what people say, it isn't always easy to overcome peer pressure or expectations, as I'm sure I'm going to find out Thursday.

Being a trans guy, I stopped shaving my legs in July. It makes me feel more like a guy and plus it's so much less of a hassle. Gym starts up again Thursday, and I'm fairly open about my gender but for now it's mainly only my friends and acquaintances that know. So not only am I in the girl's locker room, but I'm going to be stared at like a freak because I don't shave.

I refuse to shave in order to make people I don't even like happy. It would only make myself more anxious and upset to have perfectly bare legs. So you know what? Fuck them. I'm going to be myself no matter what social standards are in place, no matter what they say behind my back. I'm a guy, and I refuse to conform to what you think my gender is.

It wasn't an easy thing for me to come to. At first I did want to do it, just to lie low and blend in. But screw blending in! I stand out already. I have a binder, a boy's haircut and clothes. What's even the point anymore? I refuse to let fear control me.

This to most would probably seem to be a small, inconsequential story. I mean, leg hair? Small issue for a whole thread, right? But it's bigger than leg hair. It's authenticity and being able to be yourself without the judgement of the people around you. And it isn't always easy. So take solace in this, not even just trans people, but everyone. Do what you want to even if people will look down on you for it. You have so much more worth than the opinions of a bunch of people you don't like anyways.

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Cis, trans or NB; the gender doesn't matter in this point. Having to do X just because modern society says so, a bit stupid. I mean, sure, fine, if you want to, then that's your choice and I accept, but don't look down because others don't want to, because that's their choice too.

I got into an argument with my parents about a month ago about how I said if I had a son I'd let him wear a dress if he wanted to. They seemed to take this as I'm going to force him into one just to break social boundaries. No. I just won't force any of my kids to wear something that's traditional or not to their sex if they're not comfortable in it.

Everyone's a judge though, even the ones who judge positively. I think the main thing to do is make your judgment and then leave it, if you still got a problem/curious with it, then ask that individual why. The worst they could say is "I don't want to tell you" as long as you asked nicely.

#2 Secrets5, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  3. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're right, and I was thinking about this after I posted- pretty much anyone could take this advice, regardless of age, gender, whatever, we all have to deal with this crap!

4. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're right, it seriously isn't easy to overcome this pressure. It doesn't even have to do with gender- for you, it might, but I've spent days and days worrying about what others think of me. I have a problem with hair as well- I can't shave it. And I feel that it makes me unfeminine or something in people's eyes, which makes me feel less pretty. Since my confidence is shaky, I just resorted to covering myself neck down.

I actually find this a little inspiring.