1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awkward Trans Moments

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Reciprocal, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yesterday I was at the checkout at a supermarket and I was served by an old family friend. She kept going on about how much I'd grown and how tall and mature I was for my age. I was a little bit confused as I'm about average for my age, but I went along with it anyway. Turned out she thought I was my 10-year-old brother! It was a bit awkward but I had to laugh because we do look pretty similar nowadays.

What about you? What are your silly, awkward or embarrassing, light-hearted trans moments? (!)

2. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's actually pretty funny. :lol:

Well, here's my awkward one. There's this girl on my bus who I've been sorta friends (?) awhile with, and who's always been very uncomfortable with my sexuality. She's one of the prissy types that is alright to talk to alone, but the second she's around her friends she'll be a bitch to you. We ended up getting put into the same group for an Honors English group project Friday and being the bright idiot I am, I offered to set up a Google Doc for us to work on it. I full-out forgot Google has my chosen name registered for it, and the look she gave me when she saw it was priceless. It appears I have outed myself. :lol:
    (It's an annoying group, too. They're both super girly and talk about celebrities the whole time. Also nobody takes my ideas seriously. :dry:slight_smile:

#2 DreamerBoy17, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  3. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Some have troubles believing it's me on my ID. There had been people who said 'That's not you' or 'That is not your ID' and refused to sell me stuff.

Sometimes my own family won't recognize me on the phone. My sister said once 'Damn, what a deep voice, you sound like a man!'

4. AaronV

I guess most of my encounters are more awkward than funny, but oh well.

A while ago I suffered from back pain and had to go to the doctor for it, they wanted to test my muscle strength and I had to wear sports clothes for the test. I hadn't changed my name with the insurance company yet, so I reluctantly went into the women's changing room because I didn't want to tell my life story to a secretary at a doctor's office. Well, as soon as I went in an older guy called after me angrily, thinking that I was trying to spy on the women in there... The secretary explained it to him but yeah, it was incredibly awkward and I changed in like thirty seconds just to get out of there.

I also had problems with my old ID, but instead of people refusing to believe that it was my ID, they thought I was a guy with a girls name. My first old name is technically unisex, but the second one is very feminine. One time a cashier literally asked me if my mom was drunk while naming me and proceeded to inform me numerous times that I've got a girls name. Thanks, I hadn't noticed yet. :icon_roll

5. corgiblue

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I had a sorta friend in college. (We talked in class, and on the bus when we'd both be going home at the same time, but nothing out of that) Well we met when I was pre-T, during that awkward time when half the people thought I was a chick, other half recognized me as male. Well he would call me a girl and I just never corrected anyone at the time, but both semesters we had a professor who would call me a he, (I'm lucky I was given a gender neutral name, though I have since changed it), so by the 2nd semesters the friend got that I was actually male. So one day we're on the bus and the bus driver calls me a she, and the friend just laughs and says, "Why does everyone think you're a girl?" then turns to the bus driver, "This is a guy, not a girl!" It was funny and kind of awkward, but I felt really good that day.

Another good feeling moment, was at about 7 months on T. I was at my step-mom's parents for Christmas, and they don't know I'm trans, (I mean, at this point it's so obvious, but whatever) and my step mom's sister in law sees me for the first time in years and when she hears my name and learns that's who I was, she just starts laughing. (in a good way! If that makes sense?) She is just in shock seeing me, and without saying a word she obviously gets that I've transitioned. So the mom of my step-mom says, "She's grown!" about me, and me and the sister in law just kind of look at each other cause she gets it, I'm trans. That was probably the nicest moment as of yet of my transition. Someone being in total shock seeing me and without doubt knowing I'm male.

6. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I graduated from high school, my mother posted the photos on facebook and one of her old friends (who hasn't seen us in a long time) commented "[my brother's name] looks so different!". My brother is significantly older than me, but she must have known that my mother had one son and one 'daughter' and assumed that I must be the son.