1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I wanna cut my hair short but...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by TiaKay, Feb 18, 2016.

1. TiaKay

TiaKay Guest

So it's been a while that I'm questioning myself about who I want to be (a guy or a girl) and Iv'e decide that I want to cut my hair short to make me feel more like a guy... But I don't know but it's like I'm too scared because my mom always wants me to be feminine and I don't want to be that... So my mom maybe she will think that I'm weird or that she won't let me. She will probably say "Why do you want to cut your hair it will be ugly and beautiful girls like you have to look feminine and not like a guy" well I won't tell her the reason... But should I or should I not cut my hair short? Because it's like I'm scared that I will regret it, that it will be ugly or that people will judge me cause I will probably look like a guy or whatever and my family will sure think that I'm weird... Cause I used to be so girly and now it's like going dow but I never felt like a girl sense I was young and when I was young I just wanted to look like a guy and have short hair and now it's like all repeating...

2. TheSideKick

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey it's alright, figuring out your gender/gender expression is complicated so you may be unsure. If you really want short hair go ahead, it's your hair, not your mom's, not your family's, not the public's, just yours. If your mother does not like it well too bad because there is no harm in having short hair. Sure long hair is cool, but short hair is also beautiful not even close to ugly. Also the part about seeming weird for the sudden change in expression? It may be quite surprising to some, but they'll get over it and if they don't then that's their loss. Everyone is weird dear, just some people like to act normal. You should not feel obligated to pretend to be something you're not because wearing a disguise everyday stinks so whatever you do, do it because you wanted to and not cause you were pressured to.

3. YinYang

I agree with SideKick one hundred percent, but I wanted to add something.

I recently cut my hair. From about my mid back to shaved in both sides and short in the middle. Most people don't know it, but I was terrified to cut it. I felt like everyone would give me mean comments, tell me I look ugly, and start spreading rumors about me. I finally gathered up my courage and got it cut. And let me tell you, it was the best thing I've ever done with my hair. I love how it looks and most people like it, too. One of the only people that don't like it is my grandpa. He hates short hair on 'girls', so he's not exactly happy with my hair. But honestly, that's good opinion. I like the hair, and that's all that matters. Same for you. If you want to get your hair cut, get your hair cut. It's up to you, not to your family.

4. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cutting your hair can actually help you with realising if you're trans or not. For me (and a lot of other trans guys) cutting long hair to short for the first time is the most liberating feeling. It made me feel so much more comfortable in myself and my body which is something I'd never had the pleasure of feeling before, I could actually stand looking at myself in the mirror for once.

Just remember that hair grows back and there are a lot of short styles that are 'girly' if you find that short hair in a more masculine style isn't for you. So it'll only take a couple of months for you to grow into a pixie cut or something like that (sorry I'm really not fluent in hair talk). It's difficult with parents, my dad and grandparents were way against me getting mine cut but I thought to myself, 'you know what, I'm going to do this thing for myself and it's going to make me happy, no one else'. That's what you need to do for you if it's also going to make you happy.

What might make it easier for yourself and your mum is getting it cut in stages, for example I got mine cut to shoulder length for a couple months before I went short back and sides and that kind of eased everyone into the process. It should be up to you. Don't do anything to please other people if you're going to be miserable because of it.