1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I go about getting my hair cut?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by NathanX, Feb 21, 2016.

1. NathanX

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Okay, so I am ftm and came out to my parents about 5 months ago. My mom is willing to do almost anything to help me out (except hormones at the moment). I now feel so anxious to finally cut my hair but there are a few things that are making me question this. So first thing is that I can't exactly pick a hair cut. I mean I know I like short hair and I know what kind of look in general I want. But I'm scared of being seen as a Butch lesbian. There's nothing wrong with butch lesbians but make no mistake I want to be recognized as a man. See, I feel as if my face is too feminine to pull off a good short haircut. My face isn't feminine compared to the rest of the biologically female students in my class but it's still feminine enough to the point where I'm scared the cut wouldn't be masculine enough. I also am kinda scared that I will regret getting my hair cut. I mean I know it's what I want to do. I'm just scared that I will regret it afterwards.The main thing that has me debating this whole situation would be how badly I'm going to be judged. I mean I know I have to face it and deal with it. I just don't know how to. Does anyone have any advice for my situation?

#1 NathanX, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  2. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suggest that if you don't know what to go for just get a short back and sides. Its a really generic cut that can be a starting point for you to decide where to go next. Honestly getting my hair cut was the best thing I have done in terms of my transition so far. It got rid of so much of my dysphoria and although I am considered to look like a lesbian (you can't do much about that at the moment unfortunately) its way better than the alternative of leaving it long.

I've learnt defense mechanisms having been bullied my whole life and so ways I deal with people 'judging' me as a lesbian is to make fun of it myself because I'm not yet out to everyone. Its uncomfortable but its better than getting angry and upset. Also remember shot hair grows out really quickly, you can basically have a new cut every couple of months so don't worry about getting something that you don't like.