1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can somebody please explain these non-binary gender identities?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by iDunnodude, Feb 22, 2016.

1. iDunnodude

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not trying to offend anyone or seem like a bigot, I just don't understand/know what they mean.
    The ones I can come up with are:

- Genderqueer
    - Agender
    - Demigender/-fluid/-boy/-girl
    - Bigender
    - Two-spirit

But feel free to explain some other ones if you like.
    Many of them seem so similar to me which makes it very easy to confuse them.

Thank you! (*hug*)

---------- Post added 22nd Feb 2016 at 02:28 PM ----------

Edit: I know about transman/-woman, but I've seen that some people write trans* instead of just trans.
    What does that star mean?

2. YinYang

-Genderqueer means to not identify within the binary genders (male and/or female). It's mostly used as an umbrella term, but it can be its own identity as well.

-Agender means to not have a gender, or genderless. Basically, not male, not female, but a lack of gender.

-Demigender means a weak connection to a certain gender. Demiboy means weak connection to the identity of a boy, and the same for girl. Demifluid means the same thing as genderfluid, but the fluctuating identities are weak and may not be strong enough to be considered strongly identifying with the gender.

-Bigender means feeling like two genders at the same time. These genders don't have to be male and female, they can be any two gender identities. For example, male and agender or female and demiboy.

-I don't really know too much about twospirit, so if anyone would like to explain that one, that would be great. Thank you.

Usually, trans without the star means either MTF or FTM (male-to-female or female-to-male). With the star (trans*) usually will include all other non-cis gender identities.

3. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's also demiflux which is basically the same as demifluid except that one of the genders is neutral (eg agender, neutrois, genderless, or in my case, agenderflux)

4. KittensandCandy

Genderqueer is an umbrella term for people who don't identify as the binary female and male identitieswhich some people prefer to use instead of non-binary.

To be agender Is to be without gender. People who identify with this also describe it as having no gender. There are similar but not the same genders such as gendernull, gendervoid and they are not to be confused with neutral genders such as neutrois, genderneutral, neutroix etc. one is having no gender at all the other is to have a gender that is neutral.

a demigirl/ demiwoman/demifemale is someone who partially, but not wholly, identifies as a woman, girl or otherwise feminine. They may or may not identify as another gender in addition to feeling partially a girl or woman.

a demiboy/ demiman/demimale is someone who partially, but not wholly, identifies as a man, boy or otherwise masculine. They may or may not identify as another gender in addition to feeling partially a boy or man.

A demifluid is someone who has a partially fluid gender /part if their gender is fluid, not all of it.

Sometime who is bigender experiences exactly two genders simultaneously or varying between the two.these genders can be both binary, both non-binary or one binary one non-binary.

(I Don't know much about Two-spirit but to provide you with a basic answer you must know this is a definition I found online and this won't be as accurate as an actual two-spirit persons definition so please don't take this to heart)
    Two-spirited" or "two-spirit" usually indicates a Native person who feels their body simultaneously manifests both a masculine and a femininespirit, or a different balance of masculine and feminine characteristics than usually seen in masculine men and feminine women.

Apart from two-spirit I have come across and come to learn about these genders throughout my own journey to identify myself and these are my understandings if their definitions, I also research some blogs dedicated to these genders, however I don't identify as any of these apart from genderqueer and agender so it will not be as accurate as someone who is that gender)

Hope this helps you out c:

5. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Genderqueer/nonbinary - pretty much anything other than male/female. Genderqueer and nonbinary are essentially synonymous. Genderqueer can also be used as a standalone identify, whereas nonbinary is more likely to be only used as an umbrella term. Some people prefer nonbinary because it does not contain the q slur.

Agender - as others have said, not having a gender. Some people also use it to mean having sex dysphoria that causes them to need to be sexless (i.e. no secondary sex characteristics or genitals).

The other posts have already defined demigender/boy/girl/etc. well.

Bigender - as others have said, having two genders. Some people also use it to mean having sex dysphoria that causes them to need to be both sexes (i.e. both sets of genitals or ambiguous genitals, possibly a mix of secondary sex characteristics).

Two-spirit - a gender role found in indigenous North American tribes. The details are specific to each tribe, but generally involve wearing the clothes of both binary genders and/or taking on parts of both binary gender roles. It is not really a gender you identify with/as as much as it is a full cultural and social role. It is pretty significant in a lot of tribes, and it is generally considered offensive (or at least very inconsiderate) to identify as two spirit if you are not native and are not taking on the cultural role.

Trans* is supposed to be more inclusive than trans and specifically includes nonbinary genders, but trans (without the asterisk) is already an umbrella term that includes nonbinary genders, so the asterisk is redundant. It also leads to a lot of people misusing it and saying things like trans* man and trans* woman, which are nonsensical phrases because it is not necessary to specify that trans is an umbrella term when you are referring to one specific gender. Trans (without the asterisk) is generally preferred. Also, a quick note: transman and transwoman are not one word, but should instead be "trans man" and "trans woman". This is because trans men and trans women are not separate genders from cis men and cis women. Trans is just being used as an adjective to describe the man or woman, and therefore remains as a separate word.

6. Delta

I will provide short layman's definitions. A laconic, if you will.

- Genderqueer: Well, whatever it is, it's not binary.
    - Agender: You search for a gender identity. You find nothing.
    - Demigender/-fluid/-boy/-girl: It's a gender, but there's not much there.
    - Bigender: Congratulations! It's a boy and a girl! (Or any other two genders, as long as it's healthy.)
    - Two-spirit: Bigender, Google translated into Navajo and then back to English.

---------- Post added 23rd Feb 2016 at 12:38 AM ----------

The trans* is for special effect and branding purposes, us nonbinary folk get ad revenue from it. :lol:

No, but seriously.
    -*: We took down the sign that said "NO GIRLS NONBINARY PEOPLE ALLOWED"

7. TicTacsAndCoke

And there's also greygender! That's defined as feeling a little bit of gender, and by a little bit, I mean a little bit. The gender(s) that you mostly identify with as greygender is/are partially outside the binary and it is an extremely weak pull you have to that/those gender(s). I'm sorry if that's confusing. It's the only way I can think of to describe the difference between greygender and demigender, because they're kind of similar.