1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HRT Side Effects

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BobJones, Feb 22, 2016.

1. BobJones

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For all you MtF trans girls out there on HRT, have you experienced nausea or vomiting during transition? I hope to, in the future, start HRT with pills, and slowly acclimate my body to estrogen, but I am severely emetophobic (fear of vomiting) and it's something that scares me.

2. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The lower testosterone levels might make you feel weak for a few days, which can cause some nausea. Also if your dose is raised, while you're adjusting you might feel kind of sick. I've never heard of anyone vomiting from it. If you're going slowly, you shouldn't have it too bad. Talk to your doctor about it, and hopefully they'll work with you to make sure you don't get sick. Here's a Reddit thread about it, if you want more anecdotes.

3. Thessa Blossom

I'm on hormones now for two months and had never any negative experiences.
    Neither pysical nor mentally. More the oppposit :icon_bigg

#3 Thessa Blossom, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  4. Just Jess

Never vomited. Worst I ever felt was when they switched me from patches to pills and I forgot I was still wearing one of my two patches. I felt very flushed and cranky and a little dizzy. If I remember right I told everyone in the office I was having an allergic reaction - not far from the truth - took my patch off, and rested and got plenty of water. I let my endo know later in a follow up.

5. Systems

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only times I've been nauseated in my 10 months on hormones is when taking antidepressants known to cause nausea, and I never vomited.

6. BriSoft

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only a week or so in, but no issues for me. My doctor checked my liver function (among other things) and told me that Spiro can be hard on the liver.

I mention this because my wife has liver issues that can lead to nausea and vomiting if she has too much fatty foods such as cheese or bacon. If you find yourself sensitive to this already you might want a lighter diet when you start, but I would think reactions are rare.

Good luck
    Bri