1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Haircut and parents

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by himalaya, Feb 23, 2016.

1. himalaya

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I wish to cut my hair short to help me figure out who I am (and for many practical reasons as well). I managed to convince my dad to make me do it (thanks to these many practical reasons) but he accepted only at a few conditions :
    1) To tweeze my eyebrows because I have very thick ones
    2) To dress more feminine (I usually wear "neutral" clothes like basic t shirts made for no particular gender and jeans)
    3) To wear jewelry more frequently (I never do, except for one earring sometimes)

He says that if I don't do this I will look like a lesbian, a truck driver, etc. He says that I will look like I don't "assume my femininity", which is in facts exactly what I am doing, I don't "assume my femininity". :eusa_doh:

Obviously I don't want to explain to him that my goal is secretly to feel more like a guy yet, so I don't know what to say. :rolle:

Any ideas?

2. RocketRacoon

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    One thing you could try if you'd rather not cut your hair because of your dad's rules is wearing your hair up under a beanie. I do this a lot because I want to get used to the feeling of short hair before asking if I can cut it. It's not ideal, but it might help you see if you like looking more "neutral".

Also, you could try explaining how wearing "neutral" clothes makes you feel the most comfortable. It's pretty normal for people who identify as female to dress in a more neutral way, so you could tell your dad that people won't view you any differently.

Another option is to wait for a better time when you can cut your hair without having to wear more "feminine" clothes. I don't know enough about you to really help on this, but what I am planning is to cut my hair once I'm not living with my family. That way their opinions won't be directly influencing me.

Best of luck!(*hug*)

3. plantlester

You could wait until summer and explain to your father that you need a haircut to keep cool in the sun maybe?

4. himalaya

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The problem is not about cutting my hair at all, my dad is okay about it. It's just that he wants me to still look feminine with my hair short, but thanks anyway. ^^

---------- Post added 24th Feb 2016 at 04:09 PM ----------

Thank you :grin:

I have tried already putting my hair under a beanie, but I don't like wearing hats. :/
    I think I will tell him that I prefer wearing more neutral clothes, maybe he did not exactly know. I think I might get away without having to change my style of clothing.
    Remains the eyebrows, which I tried to negociate already, but it won't do... ^^'

#4 himalaya, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  5. lovemygaykid

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Umm my children's hair style is only restricted by school dress code... Their body their choice.... Maybe consider presenting an argument that as a girl trying to figure out who you are you are mature enough to have the responsibility to decide your hair style.... And put it as if he were telling a grown woman what she could wear or how she could do her hair. Tread lightly tho cause you don't want it to become confrontational

6. Rain is Love

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Have you considered trimming the hair down to about coller level, keep it clean so that it has a feminine look. Get regular hair cuts and start to bring up the back of the hair. Keeping bangs in the front would also be a middle ground.

It would be a more neutral haircut with both masculine and feminine features that can be a base for creating your image.

It might help with avoiding the conditions.

#6 Rain is Love, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  7. himalaya

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you every one :icon_bigg
    I managed to convince my father by argumenting on the fact that I don't need to conform at all costs to be pretty and to feel good about myself. My father then realized that I was right and felt really guilty for imposing me such stupid things, since he was the one who taught me to do what I liked and not always "follow the crowd".
    I'm feeling very lucky right now :lol:
    I cut my hair today, and my father really liked it, even though I look like my brother when he was younger (my brother is 25 so it's not a bad thing).

8. GayPugs

Tweezing your eyebrows just makes them get thicker. If I were you, I'd be like, "Ok..." then go behind his back and cut my hair short. No money? Steal some! =D I'm evil. Ok, that was a joke. My REAL advice is just tell him you are not interested in looking more feminine. You just want to look like YOU. And if he can't except YOU then you don't except HIM.

9. RocketRacoon

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Congratulations! I'm sure you look amazing! :eusa_clap

10. himalaya

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you very much everybody :icon_bigg