1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't know what I am??

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by kettlercorn, Feb 27, 2016.

1. kettlercorn

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm born male but I think I might be something else?
    I never liked sports as a kid or now, but I know that doesn't mean anything because girls can like sports too. I also like necklaces, and I had this girl mermaid necklace in 3rd grade. Stuff like that. And then when I started puberty, I hated it. I didn't like my body or my voice at all. I thought it was a weight thing, so I started trying to lose weight and got an eating disorder where I was starving myself. I'm trying to get better, not there yet. Anyway, I think maybe the reason I don't like my body is because I want a female body, but I'm not sure if I'm really a girl. I don't even know how you tell. I've tried make up on, and I liked how I looked, but it's not like I felt better with it on or anything, I just liked how I looked. And I want to grow my hair out. So maybe I'm non binary or something? I don't know what the difference in terms of how you feel with feeling female vs feeling something else non binary or whatever. Anybody trans, how did you know what you were? Because I can't figure out it out. The only thing I can think of is to just try different pronouns and see how I feel but I don't have a place to do that in real life
    Also, I have a boyfriend who identifies and gay and I don't know how he'll react to this or if he'll be attracted to me anymore if I decide to transition. I don't want to have to break up

2. Systems

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always knew I was female, until I finally repressed it around 17. I then questioned from 18-19, and knew I was either female or non-binary. Some part of me just knew I was female, but I was hoping it wasn't true. I was scared of being a trans woman.

I asked myself how I wanted to look, and how I wanted people to see me and treat me. I wanted to look absolutely female, except I didn't care about how my genitals looked. So I knew medical transition was for me. I knew I wanted hormones and FFS to look as female as possible. I wanted people to see me as a woman, and treat me as a woman. That's how I figured out I'm just a woman. I sometimes feel more masculine or more feminine, but I understand that as just my style changing, not my gender. It feels right every day to call myself female. It also feels like a relief. It feels good to say it. It feels so right every time someone calls me 'miss', 'lady', 'girl', etc. or refers to me with female pronouns.

As for your boyfriend, anything could happen with him. It's possible he'll be totally supportive and still be attracted to you and want to stay your partner. Reactions like that are not unheard of. He might be supportive, but also also confused and bewildered about what this means for you as a couple. He might not want to be your partner anymore.

The worst possibility is that he reacts negatively.

Are you interested in medical and social transition? If you are, I would recommend going for it and finding people who love you for who you really are. You might already know some. Some relationships you might lose, but in my opinion that means they were toxic anyway.

Transition can come at an immense cost, but not transitioning can too.

3. kettlercorn

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know what I want to do. I don't want to transition unless I'm sure and I'm not sure at all right now. I think some of my friends would be ok with it but idk. I talked to my counselor about it but they didn't know much and said I should find a counselor that knows more about lgbt stuff

4. Irisviel

In short words, I myself found most of the advice not too helpful - which is alright, everyone is different and sometimes it's harder to relate. So maybe try my "definition" and see whether it makes any sense for you.

I "know" not because I feel a woman inside or anything like that. Like you say in your post, I have no idea what it's like to feel any different than, well, me. So I'm going the other way around: how uncomfortable living as male makes me? Could I continue and be happy? Do I feel good with my body? Would I be able to identify as non binary perhaps, and be happy with that? Or does my discomfort with being male go further than that. What if I know that I'm very concious of some male features of mine (voice, genitalia, facial features and hair)... do I feel like dealing with those problems would make me happy?
    I feel extremely unhappy living as male, and all possible solutions to that only seem to feel "right" when I imagine myself as a woman - and that's how I would describe knowing you're trans from my perspective, through how the way I'm perceived socially and physically makes me unhappy and want to change it.

#4 Irisviel, Mar 16, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  5. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What makes you think you dislike your body because it's not female? It's normal for guys to like some feminine things, and nearly everyone feels uncomfortable during puberty. I'd recommend considering why you want to be female, and trying to evaluate if you're actually feeling dysphoria. Maybe keep a journal of all of your thoughts relating to your gender, or talk to a therapist.

6. Systems

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A therapist who works with a lot of trans people should be able to help.

Until then, these simple questions might give insight:

Are you uncomfortable in your own skin?
    Are you uncomfortable with how people see you?
    Is the idea of changing your style or body comforting (ignoring the possibility of negative reactions)?
    Is the idea of people seeing you as X gender comforting (ignoring the possibility of negative reactions)?

With these questions I'm trying to gauge your interest in transition. A lot of trans people desire to transition, so if it sounds great I'd strongly suspect you're trans, but even if it doesn't sound interesting, you might still be trans. With your posts here, it sounds like you might be trans, and it's worth looking into. A gender therapist would be the best help in figuring this out, but feel free to stay on Empty Closets and talk about it.

And to rephrase my other post here:

I wanted to look female and have people see me as female. That's how I knew I wanted to transition. Besides this, it felt right to consider myself one of the many women in the world. And with all that, I came to identify as female.

7. animegeek

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I felt the same way when i was younger, i used to like a lot of femminine things and i liked to wear more feminine clothes a lot of the time, but my dad always yelled at me when i showed interest in anything like that and my classmates made fun of me a lot so i repressed my feelings and tried to ignore how i felt for several years. Then a few years ago i started to question wether i was transgender but i was very unsure and then i found out about gender fluidity then i knew that i was gender fluid.
    Sorry i kind of went off topic but anyway i hope this helped.

8. kettlercorn

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the help everyone. I'm going to see a therapist that specializes in lgbt stuff so hopefully that helps. I feel more comfortable being feminine, but I just need to figure out if I just want to be a feminine male or not. I'm thinking of making a separate facebook profile from my normal one to try out female pronouns and see how I feel about that. I think a lot of things I find uncomfortable is because it makes me perceived as masculine