1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

transition regret?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ahundredpennies, Feb 28, 2016.

1. ahundredpennies

Has anyone had or heard of anyone who has transitioned (hormones, and/or surgeries etc). and regretted it? Why would someone go through these things if they regret it afterwards?

2. Delta

I've heard of it in news and online, but it seems to be an very common factor that the people experiencing it lost a lot because of their transitions, and the things lost were a result of transphobia more than transitioning. Some had established careers that they lost when they transitioned, some had families that abandoned them, some found they weren't treated as being a "real" man or woman, they were being treated as an inferior "other" category.

The other common reason seems to be that transitioning didn't give them the life they expected. Like, transitioning to being a woman can leave people prone to misogyny or make people treat them like they should be interested in certain things they weren't interested in before and have no reason to like.

The final source of regret I've heard about seems to be coming mostly from people who transitioned very young, under their 20s, who say they weren't yet fully developed and they ended up being wrong about being trans, but they are a minority among the already small sliver of people who regret transitioning (which is a small subset of the people who transitioned, which is a subset of trans people, which itself is a very small subset of the population. What I'm getting at is, there really aren't very many of these people.)

#2 Delta, Feb 28, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  3. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, some people do detransition for a variety of reasons. Some people are wrong about being trans, others have some issue like the person above mentioned. I don't know about the prevalence of each reason, but both are very possible. Just look up ftmtf of detransition if you want to hear some of their stories.