1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans guys and swimming

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by DreamerBoy17, Feb 29, 2016.

1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, it's almost that season again! That's right, everyone, gym swim class starts next week! :wink:
    It's gotten me thinking a lot about what the hell I'm going to do about my swim attire. Not only for gym, but at an upcoming party for my friend and summer in general. Last summer, my swimsuit made me extremely uncomfortable and dysphoric. I was considering this year asking my mom to buy me swim trunks and a swim shirt thing for the top, maybe wearing my old binder underneath? (When I get my new one)

1. Would this look strange?
    2. Is it safe to swim in a worn-out binder?

2. Pumpion

I think there are binding swimsuits available, I'm not 100% sure though, so don't quote me on that XD Even though I don't own a binder, I don't think it would be safe to wear one whilst swimming if it wasn't designed for that, even if it was old and worn out. Better to be safe than sorry imo :slight_smile:

3. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  4. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are swim binders available, I actually just got one from Outplay. If you do get one from them, I recommend getting the high-compression. I bought the high-compression full coverage one, and it's ok, it does it's job, but it's not as good as a binder (to give you an idea).

There's also one that is currently in progress from Flavnt, but it's not going to be released until Spring Break if you can wait until then. I like this one because you can get them in your skin tone, and when it's out, I know I'm going to get one.

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey there Cody! I'll see what I can do to help you out. I have a swim binder from Underworks, but I know LoveBoat carries them, and I think GC2B said something about carrying some soon.

1) I don't think it would look weird at all. If it makes you feel safer, you could wear a shirt or tank over your swim binder.

2) I hear about people swimming in their regular binders with a rash guard over it (like of like a surf shirt), and they don't have any problems. If you do this, be sure to rinse or wash your binder once you to remove the chlorine from it.

Hope this helps!

6. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Underworks actually do a pretty good swim binder - someone mentioned it above. I just got mine in the post today and found that it was too big even though I ordered the size that fits me for regular binder (small) I'm going to try the XS and see if thats any better, hopefully not too tight. The material seems comfy and its really easy to get on/off. Quite expensive though so might not be worth it if you're only using it occasionally.

I have heard of people using their normal binder and wearing a rash guard (I'd sugget buying a proper wet shirt because if you wear a regular T-shirt you'll end up getting rashes where it rubs... hence the name, eh!) Just be really careful when swimming because the water could cause your binder to tighten and it already restricts breathing so that could potentially be very dangerous. I'd test it in water first and see how the compression is, don't go hard the first time because passing out in the water from not getting enough oxygen is a possibility.

#6 Aberrance, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  7. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, thanks everyone! I don't think I can buy a specifically designed swim binder because of the prices, so I might end up going with the old binder with a rash guard! Great suggestions! My mom should definitely be ordering me a second binder before summer rolls around. And it's not like I do vigorous swim stuff. It's very casual for me, so I wouldn't be over exerting myself.
    Of course, I'll probably be screwed next week, but I'll just do my best cringe and survive.

8. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bbbbaaahhhhhh swimming...... I don't have much experience with what to wear in a pool, I just swim in the sea. I have two old under works binders that are a size too small but i just wear both of them and that works ok if I'm not swimming laps or diving or anything. DONT do that what I do and wear two too small binders at once, that is very bad for you but if you do, don't do too much hardcore moving around. In my experience, a wet rash guard is not enough to hide my chest properly because it clings to me, but sometimes I'll also just wear an oversized wet suit witch is ok. The lest dysphoric thing to do is to just bob around in a life jacket and board shorts but I'm guessing that would not work in a pool. It depends how big your chest is, I guess, if a rashie will work for you. Just don't go swimming at all if you can help it, I guess, but good on ya if you can manage it.:icon_wink

9. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I bought a wet-suit. It has short sleeves/legs and is black. Then I wear something sporty or constricting under it to flatten my chest. It didn't cost much (around $30 online I think). I felt great in it.

You could look for something similar, perhaps a one piece suit of some kind, made for men/unisex. Just make sure your chest isn't too constricted as swimming requires flexibility.