1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to move things foward

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by The Purple One3, Mar 1, 2016.

1. The Purple One3

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's been a while since I've been on EC, but I'm returning finally :grin: sorry if this got a lil long.. Bare with me here!

So ever since I started identifying as trans 4 years ago (I was 12), I've been waiting. I was waiting till I thought it was okay to come out to my friends and family (I achieved this last summer). Now I've been solely waiting to be able to feel comfortable in my body. Ive been waiting for an opportunity to be able to start transitioning, because my dysphoria is pretty much running my life right now. Issues like school, extended family I'm not out to, money.. They're all things that are really working against me. It doesn't help that I'm very lonely as well. I just wish I could start HRT as soon as possible. On top of it all, I don't even know where to start? How do you even get a gender therapist, and get prescribed hormones? My mom is the person I would come to to talk to her about it. Maybe I could ask her about getting me help? Any suggestions or input is very much appreciated! :icon_redf

2. The Purple One3

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I'm very sure I want to transition. Ibe had YEARS to think it over, and it is something I am most definately going to do

3. Systems

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It might depend on the state you're in. I'd rather not say where I am in the US, but what I did to start was find an endocrinologist and schedule an appointment. I've heard that any doctor can prescribe hormones, but most are unwilling, and it's usually endocrinologists that prescribe hormones. Hormones are their specialty.

My endocrinologist required that I have a letter from a therapist attesting that I'm trans and that hormones are a good idea for me. Not all endocrinologists require a letter. Some prescribe based on informed consent, which means once they tell you all you need to know, your decision to take hormones is enough to be prescribed them.

After being told I needed a letter, I looked for and found an explicitly trans-friendly therapist. I got the letter after a few sessions. Some therapists might write you a letter after one appointment. Others might require a certain amount of visits. I've heard of therapists not writing a letter until after months of therapy.

I get loneliness and life ruining dysphoria. I don't know if I have any advice for that besides keeping hope. Since starting my transition I went from having one friend to having three friends, and my relationships are much deeper now, because I'm now honest and forthcoming instead of closed off and dishonest. My dysphoria is mixed in with severe depression and anxiety and trauma. Treating one thing helps with the other problems. I've recently been experiencing extremely satisfying gender congruence, and I've been able to sometimes forget my dysphoria, which is usually very intense and unrelenting.

I hope it works out similarly for you. Transition can help a hell of a lot with dysphoria, even if it's just changing your wardrobe or being yourself around friends or family.

4. The Purple One3

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you so much!!! You really helped me a lot! (*hug*)