1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reconstructive Surgery

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by H20, Mar 3, 2016.

1. H20

H20

Let me point out I'm nowhere near ready or qualified to have sex reconstructive surgery yet, but I am definitely considering it. However, I'm having difficulty finding any useful and clear information on SRS. I know it costs a lot, which is what's probably gonna hold me back more than anything, but I don't want to just rule it out because of the money.

Even if you just provide links that'd be helpful, but I wanted to know what all surgeries are available, and how to choose or how any of you chose which one(s) to get.

I'd also love to hear why any of you did or didn't choose to go along with surgery or certain ones if you're willing to share.

And what things should I be considering before making up my mind?

The reason why I ask this is because why the money thing is disheartening, my dysphoria has gradually been worsening and depressing me. While I do plan on going on HRT, and I believe that'll help greatly once I do, I still need to look into surgery because I believe that may be an option for me someday. Like I know I definitely want a masectomy, but I do have some hesitations on bottom surgery even though I'm half certain it's probably something I'm also going to want. I would just really like to get some knowledge on this, but I find much online.

2. pinkclare

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I recommend doing two things to learn about surgery options. First, make an account on Transbucket.com. Though it can always use more, they have a fairly large database of surgical results for the entire trans spectrum. Most users also include information about cost and experience with their surgeon when they upload their result photos.

Second, there are several good Yahoo! groups that both have pictures and ongoing discussions of different surgery results. Though there are several more, the ones I follow are: FTM Surgery Info (all trans-male spectrum surgeries), The Deciding Line (different bottom surgery options), and FTM Metoidioplasty (appropriately, specific to metas!).

These are all pretty active and, after you join, you can even search through the archives of past conversations that go back years and years covering all the things in your original post.

3. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  4. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  5. H20

H20

Oh, thank you guys! This is all amazing and I have much to study! I'm so excited to learn about this and I can't wait to check all these out. (&&&)

6. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I won't ever do this kind of thing, because it's not guaranteed to work and you might lose sensation downstairs. I had to have one surgery as a child and they made a cut on my stomach - I don't want this kind of feeling in such a place. Besides, why get such a major surgery when I can live without it? Surgeries are risky and an awful lot of trouble.

edit: I'm sitting in science and reading about even technology of vein implants makes me scared of any type of implants or rearrangement of tissues.

#6 Mihael, Mar 4, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  7. Lazuri

Just means you don't suffer as much from body dysphoria. Or that you have a phobia of surgeries.

8. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, that's my reasoning, everyone can have their own.

9. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hudson's Guide also has resource information on all things related to bottom surgery as well, so that might be something of interest too.

10. pinkclare

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have every right to not want to have bottom surgery, but telling others who are considering it that it might not work or your might lose sensation is pretty irresponsible. Sure, there are always risks to surgery, but something catastrophic like losing sensation is SOOOO statistically unlikely that it's practically negligible. Personally, I haven't heard a single instance of a person losing sensation from bottom surgery performed after the 1980's. It just straight up is not a big risk.

It sounds like you don't want bottom surgery because you have a surgery phobia and no bottom dysphoria. These reasons are completely valid! Don't hide behind scare tactics as if they are real reasons. "It won't work" and "you might lose sensation downstairs" are nasty rumors that can delay a dysphoric person's progress towards getting medically necessary care. Please refrain from spreading it.

11. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Guys, I didn't mean to put you down. I think I should have quoted the fragment I was anwsering to in the first place:
    [/QUOTE]I'd also love to hear why any of you did or didn't choose to go along with surgery or certain ones if you're willing to share.[/QUOTE]
    I'm sorry if I upset you.

Let's keep in mind that everyone's experience is different and what is true for me doesn't have to be true for you. And if you feel like it pays off for you, if it would make you feel better, then go for it.

#11 Mihael, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  12. H20

H20

I wasn't upset and usually I double check everything anyways. I know there's risks with having surgery and I will definitely do a thorough research, but for myself, not having full functionality, small penis size, having to be on hormones permanently, etc., don't bother me too much. I certainly won't rush into any decisions and I would have to raise the money, but I feel like this may be a necessity.

It's only been three months since learning about HRT and sex reassignment surgery, and while I hesitated to research it at first, it's something I felt like I wanted from the beginning, and if I continue to feel like this in six months or a year after educating myself about everything, it's probably something I'm always going to want.

I do appreciate you sharing your opinions for your decisions and journey. I love hearing about other people in similar situations even if we choose to do separate things. And I understand where you don't want surgery because it's risky sometimes and some aspects may not be guaranteed or one thing or another. Some people don't want nor require it, and that's totally cool. Honestly I wish I could be someone who didn't need/want surgery because I think - from my perspective - it would be easier or simpler albeit with it's own setbacks sometimes, but as I mentioned above, the moment I heard about these options, it's just something I felt I needed so I'm studying up.

Thanks Daydreamer1! Any resources will be a major plus. I'll be checking it out soon.