1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello, I'm confused

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Ilo, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Ilo

Ilo

Out Status:
    A few people
    I am here because I am thinking and pretty sure that I might be ftm.
    I never remember being a 'boy' when I was younger. I don't remember much tbh. I do remember always feeling a little different and like something was off. At school I did play with 'boy' toys and enjoy making things etc. Never football or sport. I know these things don't make up your gender, I just am trying to think of my past. I'm confused. Anyway I am 16 at the moment. Back in 2012 looking back I was really not happy with my body (puberty hit) and I can see this from photos and memories. I am here today thinking I might be trans. Although I am not very manly, I just feel like I want to be a guy. I hate my body, I mean hate. I've hated my chest since the day it first started devolving. They are really small but I can't deal with them. I'm all over the place emotionaly because I don't feel good enough tbh. I have a few questions on my mind. I didn't know at a young age, well I don't remember is this OK? Am I letting people down? Why me? Am I good enough? What happens if I am making this up? I'm just confused? Why do I feel like this now?
    Can I still like 'girly' things? Should I tell someone? Who can I talk to?

Thank you. I'm probably not covering everything so idk.

2. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you're right about your gender. You sound trans to me, based on the fact that you have clear dysphoria and want to be a guy. It's completely okay to not have known from a young age. Lots of trans people either didn't have strong feelings of transness until puberty hit or just didn't recognize that those were the feelings they were having when they were young. And yes, it's completely okay to like 'girly' things. You wouldn't tell a cis guy he wasn't really a man because he liked the color pink or thought dresses were cute, would you? If a cis guy can like them, you can like them.

You're not making up your feelings, but if you do turn out to be wrong about being trans, that's okay. It's really hard to get hormones or surgeries unless you're completely sure, so it's very unlikely that you'd be able to make any permanent decisions and be wrong about them. If you come out and then change your mind, it's a bit of a hassle, but it's not the end of the world. And honestly, even if you did make permanent changes and have to detransition, that's not the end of the world either. It's hard, but people have done it and they've survived. It's certainly not ideal, but it's not the worst thing ever.
    And to be clear, I don't think you're going to change your mind once you're sure. You sound like you fit a pretty standard trans narrative. Of course, people can be trans and not follow the standard narrative, but people who fit it so closely don't often change their minds.

3. Ilo

Ilo

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you, very much. I am going to try and figure things out. I know I feel trans its just I have a voice in my head that spreads doubt. I've been through a few gender identities over the past couple of months and none have fit quite like being ftm. It will take time for me to accept who I am. I didn't even know about this forum until stumbling upon it today, so glad I did.
    Thanks once again :slight_smile:

4. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm lost about my gender too, so I can't help you figuring out, but I want to let you know that whatever you are, you are good enough (*hugs*) And yes, you can like firly things and be a guy, you can like all sorts of things, and you're still the same person, it doesn't change who you are. I agree that you're not making it up and that if it turns out you're wrong, it's not the end of the world. People change their minds on a lot of things (or rather come to know more about things they are going into and a new perspective makes them realise it's not what they want) and the longer you live, the more you see it happens and the more radical changes you witness.

5. Delta

I completely understand that feeling. It can be torture to have a really feminine body that's keeping you from being a guy, which you can't help but really yearn for.

I mean, I'm biased, but I don't think you have to stop liking girly stuff because I don't think you have to stop liking being a girl. You can do either/or, but both/and also is a thing. And guys come in all types, being all guy doesn't mean you can't have a feminine side.

#5 Delta, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016